Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hammer Down Mix
It is great to have another song to mix from Dark ride. I have mixed the other ones for practice many times. I feel great about this mix. Looking forward to feedback good and bad. Your not going to hurt my feelings, just make me work harder. Of course I could use the confidence boost from positive feedback. Smile

.mp3    Dark Ride - HammerDown_Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 11.27 MB)

The bass seems to have too much of the sub 80 Hz energy, and feels a bit uncontrolled.

But I think you're definitely on the right track with this, and the overall mix feels very good.
(09-04-2017, 04:50 AM)kapu Wrote: The bass seems to have too much of the sub 80 Hz energy, and feels a bit uncontrolled.

But I think you're definitely on the right track with this, and the overall mix feels very good.

Thanks Kapu. I was thinking that too after comparing to some others. Been playing with my monitoring. I set my bass control set at -5 because i was not getting enough bass in my mixes. It sounds great here but now results in too much bass in translation. Going to try another setting and update my mix. What do you think of the highs?
Hmm... I think the highs are quite right.

There are some quite strong resonances between 2k and 5k. I think it's mostly from guitars, but cymbals and vocals could also be 'clashing' there. I'm usually against being really specific, as 'everything affects everything', but I'd suggest you could try taking about 6 dBs off the lead vocals (at least in the verse part) around 2.3k with narrowish Q/bandwith, and similarly from main guitars at 3.6k and 5k. Something seems to be resonating pretty constantly between 700-800 Hz, probably the synths. A cut to the overheads around 2.8k could also be useful. Of course readjusting the levels would be necessary also.

I attached a small demo. It begins with the changes I'd make, and then switches back and forth with your sound. I eq'd it as described and then applied some slow multiband compression to compensate, and tried to level match with the original. Of course applying strong eq processing on the mix sort of 'kills' the sound, but I think you'll get the point, and maybe hunt down these frequencies at track or group level. Or if you think your original tone sounds better, then go with it. ^_^

.m4a    imagine.m4a --  (Download: 1.59 MB)