Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neon Hornet - 'Take It Off' - Nate
Hi all - Here's my take on this song. Thanks to the band - this is a great song!

Let me know what works and what doesn't.

Thanks

.mp3    NeonHornet_TakeItOff - Mix3.mp3 --  (Download: 11.87 MB)

nate!
Those early reflections on your drums sound weird, but it might be fine once you bring everything else up in level - the guitars, lead vox are way down in there, man. The vocal does seem like it is EQ'd nicely though.
@samsound yea, those early reflections are pretty bad. Truth be told, this was my first or second mix I ever did. Can't remember exactly, but it's been about 2 years since i've started down this road and i've revisited this song, along with a few others to see how i've progressed.

Mike contacted me about this song and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to re-mix it - as the first pass was pretty terrible in my opinion. So, posted below is my re-done mix for this song. I addressed, among a few things, those drum reflections by cutting down on the room mic and creating my own room, albeit dry, to give me more punch and forwardness which is a close approximation to the drum sound that Them Crooked Vultures and Queens of The Stone Age have. (I used those two bands for mix references).

I can go into further detail if anyone wants to know (or cares) but the one thing I felt was lacking in this song is the guitar. Not knocking the artist at all!! I felt it could have been produced and performed a bit better. The repetitiveness of the rhythm guitar got a bit old and it was only single tracked. It would have been nice to have a dual mono of that part to pan L/R to round things out better. To fix this I doubled it and processed it differently with some eq and compression. It's not perfect but it was a big improvement in the sound of the song. I didn't use a stereo plugin for this because I didn't just want to 'delay' the other channel, I wanted it to sound different like it was played by a different amp/guitar combo while maintaining a tight sound (maybe too tight!).
The solos were well done but I felt lacked a some emotion so I did some processing with delays and opposite-panned returns to give the solos some movement and space. I felt it worked to accomplish what I was hearing for the final mix but maybe I missed me the mark. Let me know!!

Other than that just some light eq-ing and compression on the rest of the tracks -- vox, bgv, and drums.
The main vocal I added some slap and parallel distortion with the Klanghelm SDDR. Such a wonderful sounding vocal dist plugin.

Anyway, let me know what you think of my mix. I'm looking forward to your thoughts!

Neon Hornet - Take It Off - Second Pass

Nate

nate!
Hi Nate,

(28-12-2018, 05:03 PM)nate Wrote: ...Them Crooked Vultures and Queens of The Stone Age have. (I used those two bands for mix references).

Can you tell us which songs specifically you referenced?