Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eliza Jane mix
Another great song from James May.

.mp3    eliza 1.mp3 --  (Download: 5.99 MB)

Maybe I should do a drier mix. And less processing in mastering.
Just giving it a listen now. There's a few things that jump out at me.

It feels a little bright. I might be sensitive that right now because I keep working on it and it's a very sibilant vocal with some elements that really "tickle" the high end. There's also something about the song that wants to make it warmer so it's a fight to keep it "lively" enough but also keep the warmth it eludes to.

I do think the vocal is too wet and the reverb adds to the sibilance of the track. I think the reverb is trying to make the vocal something else as opposed to supporting the vocal. Let the voice be sincere. Even if it's small or dry. Let the music be it's emotion and speak for it. Let the music be the reverb, in a way.

I do like the size it gets to. It gives a love song a lot of passion. It just goes too far.

Ultimately, I'd agree for drier and less processed. This is a song that could work as just vocal and guitar. Everything should work around that. Not that any of my mixes got closer to that either. It's an easy song to over do. All I'd say is romance it more. Play it cool.

I'm sure none of that helps. Ha.

Mix 2

.mp3    ej12.mp3 --  (Download: 4.79 MB)

Is mix 2 any better ?