Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Hammer Down-Dark Ride
Hi Here is my mix Big Grin

Mix 2 based on Doug's feedback

Mix 3 uploaded Blush

.mp3    Hammer. ..mp3 --  (Download: 11.5 MB)

.mp3    Hammer down 2.mp3 --  (Download: 11.61 MB)

.mp3    Hammer Down 3.mp3 --  (Download: 11.65 MB)

The first thing I noticed is that the guitars are way under all the other elements of the mix, this is Metal, the rhythm guitars should be panned out wide and have beefy sound. Try adding some 220 Hz to the rhythm guitars and bringing them up in the mix, some multiband compression at 281 Hz will also help make the palm mutes consistent and tight. As a whole you mix sounds really mono, there's no space around the drums (the overheads in this mix are not overheads in a traditional sense, they only contain the cymbals and non of the kit) you need to push up the room mics on the drums so that the kit glues itself together and fills out the stereo field more.

The bass sounds ok, it does poke out in a strange way during the verses but it could be rectified by bringing the rhythm guitars up in the mix. I would also look at boosting 100 Hz on the bass to give it some energy down there and scooping out some 250-300 Hz to keep it out of the kick and low end of the guitars, a limiter like Waves L1 (there's a freeware version of it called W1 if you don't have it) or the stock limiter in your DAW will keep the peaks of the bass from jumping out too much and allow you some wiggle room in the mix.

The kick doesn't really have the attack needed by this genre, it has a rounded sound to it and lack the high end click typical of the style, boosting some 10 kHz with a shelf EQ and taking out some 2.5 kHz will help with this and a boost at 70 Hz and cut at 350 Hz will give it the punch in the low end that the track needs. I found that for the kick runs that seperating the kick into 2 tracks, one for the main kick sound and the other for a kick run sound (I like to call it the BR00T4L kick) worked pretty well. For the main kick sound follow what I mentioned and add some low end to it so it punches through the single notes, on the kick runs exaggerate the high end abit more and cut 1 dB at 70 Hz so that the kick doesn't cause the low end to build up and sound flubby.

Cheers, and hope this helps
Doug
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
(02-04-2017, 02:38 PM)dcp10200 Wrote: The first thing I noticed is that the guitars are way under all the other elements of the mix, this is Metal, the rhythm guitars should be panned out wide and have beefy sound. Try adding some 220 Hz to the rhythm guitars and bringing them up in the mix, some multiband compression at 281 Hz will also help make the palm mutes consistent and tight. As a whole you mix sounds really mono, there's no space around the drums (the overheads in this mix are not overheads in a traditional sense, they only contain the cymbals and non of the kit) you need to push up the room mics on the drums so that the kit glues itself together and fills out the stereo field more.

The bass sounds ok, it does poke out in a strange way during the verses but it could be rectified by bringing the rhythm guitars up in the mix. I would also look at boosting 100 Hz on the bass to give it some energy down there and scooping out some 250-300 Hz to keep it out of the kick and low end of the guitars, a limiter like Waves L1 (there's a freeware version of it called W1 if you don't have it) or the stock limiter in your DAW will keep the peaks of the bass from jumping out too much and allow you some wiggle room in the mix.

The kick doesn't really have the attack needed by this genre, it has a rounded sound to it and lack the high end click typical of the style, boosting some 10 kHz with a shelf EQ and taking out some 2.5 kHz will help with this and a boost at 70 Hz and cut at 350 Hz will give it the punch in the low end that the track needs. I found that for the kick runs that seperating the kick into 2 tracks, one for the main kick sound and the other for a kick run sound (I like to call it the BR00T4L kick) worked pretty well. For the main kick sound follow what I mentioned and add some low end to it so it punches through the single notes, on the kick runs exaggerate the high end abit more and cut 1 dB at 70 Hz so that the kick doesn't cause the low end to build up and sound flubby.

Cheers, and hope this helps
Doug
Thanks for the great feedback a lot to take in probably missed some things ,I uploaded a remix let me know how I'm doing.
Thanks for your help.
Hey Smile

What came to my head while listening:
-Bass is too loud at some parts.
-Rythm guitars are a bit lost sometimes (maybe synths are a bit too loud)
-Voice souds like its not part of the mix.
-Kick is ok

Take care !
Mixing with a dt770 for now..
Thanks Jim just uploaded mix 3

.mp3    Hammer Down 3.mp3 --  (Download: 11.65 MB)

Hey man so I just heard mix 3 and it's got a lot of potential! Here are some things to help you out further:

- The bass guitar's low-end might be masking the kick, or I just don't hear enough low-end punch from the kick
- Guitars are a bit harsh for my taste. I would cut out the 3-4k range a bit.
- Vocals and synths are dope. The vocals are on the edge of being too loud, maybe back them up ever so slightly
- The guitar solo sounded a bit boxy and muffled for my taste. Cut out some of the low mids

Other than that, I like how it sounds!

Good Luck,
Nick