Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
Hammer Down Mix and Faux Master by Doug
@dcp10200

(02-04-2017, 04:24 AM)dcp10200 Wrote: Update 2: Here is my second mix without limiter and other processing as per Maxine's recommendation. It's still 16 bit MP3 but atleast there's no limiting.

Listening to version 3, I think that was a step in the right direction. You can make it better by understanding the issues of what your lossy codec is doing, and making sure your mix isn't prejudiced by it.

You're only giving me 13 percent of the mix, so it is prejudiced. For some reason you don't want to give me 23 percent. I can only assume you can't hear the issues here. And I can only assume, reading the other posts, that you aren't the only one. But it is a learned process which comes faster with the right learning environment. Angel

You have chosen to give me
- less bass
- less treble, but more harshness and fatigue (eg v1 master)
- less stereo detail
- more mono
- more audio distortion, especially from the VBR algorithm and your chosen bit rate (192kbps?)

Hearing these issues will help you to dial in parameters with greater acuity too. However, you need the listening environment and the better it is, the more able you will hear things and the faster you develop. This latest post, version 3, is missing the synth part for example. It offers a valuable emotional touch to the song and should be an important part of your vision but I know some bangers hate 'um.

You need to post 320kbps files, even if you can't yet tell the difference quality wise.

One recommendation would be to get your ears used to hearing more dynamic material, and stuff which isn't clipping nor data reduced; the preview track contains significant intersample peaks which probably aren't in the original PCM. Understand what the loudness war has done to your perceptions and especially how it's biased your hearing, and how things like R-128 will impact material now and in the future. For example, try loudness matching this latest version with the preview track and see how you feel, feel emotionally that is, as opposed to analytically. Did you notice anything?

Why does the level appear to drop slightly at 0:15? Or is it a pigment of my imagination?

Yes, I think posting both the mix and master is a way of overcoming the problem some masters bring with them in their unintended consequences. Good idea. The only problem comes from the VBR encoding which clouds the difference between them (and the lack of loudness matching to prevent bias from encroaching judgements). It also feels like the codec is pulling more data out of the mix than the master. You need to fix this mp3 thing in your own mind, really. Horse to water and all that.

@Blitzzz
Thx for the posts. I liked your tips too.
(10-04-2017, 06:24 PM)Max Headroom Wrote: @dcp10200

(02-04-2017, 04:24 AM)dcp10200 Wrote: Update 2: Here is my second mix without limiter and other processing as per Maxine's recommendation. It's still 16 bit MP3 but atleast there's no limiting.

Listening to version 3, I think that was a step in the right direction. You can make it better by understanding the issues of what your lossy codec is doing, and making sure your mix isn't prejudiced by it.

You're only giving me 13 percent of the mix, so it is prejudiced. For some reason you don't want to give me 23 percent. I can only assume you can't hear the issues here. And I can only assume, reading the other posts, that you aren't the only one. But it is a learned process which comes faster with the right learning environment. Angel

You have chosen to give me
- less bass
- less treble, but more harshness and fatigue (eg v1 master)
- less stereo detail
- more mono
- more audio distortion, especially from the VBR algorithm and your chosen bit rate (192kbps?)

Hearing these issues will help you to dial in parameters with greater acuity too. However, you need the listening environment and the better it is, the more able you will hear things and the faster you develop. This latest post, version 3, is missing the synth part for example. It offers a valuable emotional touch to the song and should be an important part of your vision but I know some bangers hate 'um.

You need to post 320kbps files, even if you can't yet tell the difference quality wise.

One recommendation would be to get your ears used to hearing more dynamic material, and stuff which isn't clipping nor data reduced; the preview track contains significant intersample peaks which probably aren't in the original PCM. Understand what the loudness war has done to your perceptions and especially how it's biased your hearing, and how things like R-128 will impact material now and in the future. For example, try loudness matching this latest version with the preview track and see how you feel, feel emotionally that is, as opposed to analytically. Did you notice anything?

Why does the level appear to drop slightly at 0:15? Or is it a pigment of my imagination?

Yes, I think posting both the mix and master is a way of overcoming the problem some masters bring with them in their unintended consequences. Good idea. The only problem comes from the VBR encoding which clouds the difference between them (and the lack of loudness matching to prevent bias from encroaching judgements). It also feels like the codec is pulling more data out of the mix than the master. You need to fix this mp3 thing in your own mind, really. Horse to water and all that.

@Blitzzz
Thx for the posts. I liked your tips too.

Funny, all 6 synth parts are present in all versions of my mixes and all versions of my mixes are in 320 kbit/s Lame MP3 (Reaper uses the Lame MP3 encoder). The volume drop you hear is an automation error I made, I must have forgotten to disable it when I rendered out the file. I only ever use CBR MP3 and have never used VBR and to prevent mix ups I made my own default render preset (Lame MP3 320 kbit/s CBR) and only render MP3s from 24 Bit Wav. I heard alot of the problems of mix/master 3 but didn't delete it from the post for transparency, I'm currently tweaking that mix for the reasons you've mentioned.

I would love to upload my 24 bit mixes to the site but we are limited to MP3 or AAC for the reasons listed here: http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/misc....help&hid=9 . If you have any problems with that you can make those known to Mike Senior, the founder of this forum. Trust me, many people come on this forum and make the same claims you make here, most end up uploading sub par mixes and just blame MP3/Lossy encoding for the lack of quality when in actuality it's purely human error Angel .

Cheers, and looking forward to a superb mix
Doug
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Yeah, whether or not this, or any other mix is good has nothing to do with whether or not it's an mp3.

[/quote]

Mp3 or otherwise, a good mix will transcend all formats.
My Original Music

"One often learns more from ten days of agony than ten years of contentment."

Pro Tools 12.6/Studio One 3 Pro
Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1

Mp3 or otherwise, a good mix will transcend all formats.
[/quote]

Exactly, my third mix here flat out doesn't sound that great but that's human error Big Grin. I let my ears rest for a couple of days and now I'm working on a new version, I think I ended up focusing too much on smoothing out the top end and not on making a more balanced sounding mix.

At the end of the day, your mix will be absolutely mutilated by lossy compression (sometimes down to 64 kbps MP3 by certain consumers), if your mix doesn't sound good there it's not going to sound good at 24 bit Was on a proper audio system.
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6