Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my thoughts on this track
I thought I'd share a few thoughts which might be informative for mixing this song.

By way of background, this track comes from the my first album release, and is almost exactly 8 years old now! All of the instruments were were tracked to 24trk analog tape. The tracks were transferred to digital, edited, and then the vocals were sung into a very special old Neumann U48. Wish I owned that one!

There is obviously a lot going on with all the instruments. I like all the parts, but the arrangement is probably too busy. When we mixed it the first time, we did pare down quite a bit. There is a spot where we muted the drums.

So besides mixing, this track is an opportunity to make some artistic arrangement decisions. Have fun.
James May
Hello James:

I loved to re-mix your song. Thank you for submitting it for us. I want to ask you a few engineering related questions, if its ok with you.

1-Do you recall how the session was arranged inside the studio, specifically the position of the band inside the studio or it was done overdubbing?

2-Do you ,or your engineer, used compression and eq when tracking or just used mics and mics pre's to obtain what we heard on the tracks?

3-Finally, as an artist and performer, what would you say it makes a good tracking experience in a studio?

Thank you again for your time and for your music.
Sincerely,

Javier

(19-04-2017, 05:44 AM)javierpg84 Wrote: Hello James:

I loved to re-mix your song. Thank you for submitting it for us. I want to ask you a few engineering related questions, if its ok with you.

1-Do you recall how the session was arranged inside the studio, specifically the position of the band inside the studio or it was done overdubbing?

2-Do you ,or your engineer, used compression and eq when tracking or just used mics and mics pre's to obtain what we heard on the tracks?

3-Finally, as an artist and performer, what would you say it makes a good tracking experience in a studio?

Thank you again for your time and for your music.
Sincerely,

Javier

Hi Javier,
I just now noticed your questions. Some answers:

1. The basic track was drummer with mics and bass player through a DI in one room, and me playing acoustic guitar and singing (as guide tracks), in another isolated room with sight lines. After the basic track was recorded, I redid my acoustic guitar part and vocals. Everything else was overdubbed one part at a time. We got lots of takes and comped them into what you hear, picking and choosing the juiciest bits.

2. I think the vocals were compressed/limited on the way in. It may have been an 1176, not sure. The rest of the tracks were unprocessed, although there may have been some level adjustments made by me
during the comping phase. No compression or EQ.

3. Well, that's a deep question. In this case, it was hugely beneficial to track the basic rhythm section live to get a good feel and dynamics. There was no click track and the rhythm does ebb and flow. I did start each take at the same reference BPM speed just in case I needed to cut between takes. I don't think that happened on this track though. Being fortunate to work with talented pros helps tremendously, and having them play together at the same time, as much as possible, always makes things better.

My experience being the producer has taught me that you need a strong vision of the song, but at the same time you need to be open to what your musicians uniquely bring to the effort.
James May
A very pretty song
Hey, is there anywhere we can find your album(s) online? I really like the couple songs I've mixed and would like to check out the full release.