Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
LastLegacy - Who's Who in Hell? - Jacob's Take
Hey everybody!

I've found and joined this forum just this morning and having spent the bigger part of the day mixing, I guess I'd like to introduce myself with my take on Who's Who in Hell!

I used my own samples and ditched most of what was given. Apart from mixing I took a little creative freedom and cut out a few guitar parts to get that artificial industrial staccato. Let me know whether you like, whats going on! Wink
It's not really mastered, apart from a bus compressor and a limiter (suprise, suprise).

I'm looking forward to your constructive criticism!
Thanks alot,
Jake

UPDATE: Tried to improve the low-end, kick punch and bass guitar. increased the top end of the guitars. Updated the tom sound. Added low-end definition in the mastering chain.

.mp3    Last Legacy - Who\'s Who In Hell v2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.57 MB)

.mp3    Last Legacy - Who\'s Who In Hell v4.mp3 --  (Download: 9.58 MB)

(31-03-2017, 11:32 PM)JacobLetz Wrote: Hey everybody!

I'm looking forward to your constructive criticism!
Thanks alot,
Jake

What's up Jacob

Welcome to the club, this is a great place to practice and build your chops.
Here's what I hear on my end.

I dig the vocal/telephone effect, but its a little in your face during the bridge maybe bring the volume down or ease up on the effect or both. You could try notching the harshness out of the vocals by sweeping until you hear the offending resonant frequency and then attenuate it without sucking the life out of the timbre.
The the low end needs attention.
The bass guitar is dull and its strange because I hear it in the in the stereo field.
Think of the bass guitar as the low end of the guitars in this song because its doing the same thing as the guitars here. There seems to be a build up between 100 and 300hz. and not much sub energy. A little more bite at the top wouldn't hurt either, it will help glue it into the guitars.
The kick drum is buried and needs to be the driving force in this song.
If you fix the Kick and get more power and umph out of it. There's too much click and not enough 50 to 80 hz. to support it. Try bringing up those frequencies and notching between 90 and 120 hz. to get rid of that round knocking sound created when boosting the lows.

This is metal and it needs to smash your face in.

Bass drops would be a plus for drama. They were not included in the session folder so you have to make your own. I used Protools signal generator and varifi to make mine.

The snare sounds cool but its louder than the kit and that makes it seem disembodied from the mix.

Your guitars sound and I like that glitch edit you did it sounded tight. I also like the end where you made more space for the rests.

The lead guitars are too low in the mix and need to be eqed to fit better with the tones you're using, because they're getting lost in translation.

Overall, you have a good idea of what you're doing and it shows in your work.
Your tones are cool but they need to work within the context of your song to help add punch and glue to your mix.

I hope this was helpful and not harming.

Best.
My Original Music

"One often learns more from ten days of agony than ten years of contentment."

Pro Tools 12.6/Studio One 3 Pro
Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
Thanks for your feedback, bro!
I looked into a few of the problems you mentioned and boosted the kick low end, tried to add some low mid punch to the bass guitar... Generally i prefer mixes to be fairly slender on the low end side, so i didn't want to add to much. Also it's not much fun mixing bass on 5" speakers, I'm gonna fix that in the studio next week...
Anyway, cheers for taking the time to comment!
Opinions, comments, criticism, anyone?