Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whos Who in Hell Mixed by Doug
Here's a first draft I've made up for this track, I focused mostly on trying to get the main elements (Drums, Bass, Rhythm Guitars, and Vocals) working together and ironing out the pitches in the vocals (it also gave me an excuse to try out the Melda Productions MAutoPitch plugin, it works well and is free). I got carried away in mixing and forgot to add the leads in but I'm working on a version with the leads, for now I'm going to let my ears rest for a couple of days and come back to it, in the mean time feel free to leave your comments and suggestions.

Cheers,
Doug

Update: I took another look at the mix today and fixed some of the issues I was having, mainly in the low end department. There was a highpass in my mastering chain that I forgot to disengage which was one of the culprits massing with the low end, also the bass needed to be automated in certain sections so that it wasn't interfering so much (no offence meant to the band here, I would really look at upgrading your bass or DI situation, the clean bit of bass during the bridge sounds pretty good but the rest of it needed lots of work to get it sounding decent). I also split up my kick into 3 tracks: one for the double kick runs (less low end and more click), one for the regular bits during verses(more low end and a more rounded attack), and a softer sounding kick for the bridge. The leads are also added and I messed around with some automation on the vocals to keep em more consistent

.mp3    Whos Who in Hell Faux Master 1.mp3 --  (Download: 6.03 MB)

.mp3    Whos Who in Hell Faux Master 2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.17 MB)

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
the mean time feel free to leave your comments and suggestions.

Cheers,
Doug
[/quote]

I think its a great start dude.

Critiques to follow....

Your Bass guitar is there but not very defined except for the bridge. Maybe make separate tracks for bass guitar part. (1 DIST BGTR and 2 CLNBGTR)
There's a lack of a low end and it shows in your bass drops. If your crushing your listening environment then turn it down because the bass drop is weak. Also the bass drop is too short. Listen to A-list bands and their bass drops. A bass drop should envelope the sonic area somewhat. The bass drop occurs for at least a 1/4 note in the section this song.
In the vocal parts or the song 0:49 I would automate that reverb effect with HPF/LPF so the reverb doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. (and any other area that reverb is apparent)
The Drums sound great, shell wise. The overheads are a bit crispy and need to be tamed.

Overall, nothing in your mix is truly terrible or unfix able. This is a fantastic first effort with this mix. I would beat yourself up over tuning the vocals in this song, because it will require a lot of time and there are better things to do, like mix different songs.

Best.
My Original Music

"One often learns more from ten days of agony than ten years of contentment."

Pro Tools 12.6/Studio One 3 Pro
Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
New mix in the OP, this one has the leads in it and some refinements made overall.

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
(31-03-2017, 10:25 AM)wesleyamltd Wrote: the mean time feel free to leave your comments and suggestions.

Cheers,
Doug

I think its a great start dude.

Critiques to follow....

Your Bass guitar is there but not very defined except for the bridge. Maybe make separate tracks for bass guitar part. (1 DIST BGTR and 2 CLNBGTR)
There's a lack of a low end and it shows in your bass drops. If your crushing your listening environment then turn it down because the bass drop is weak. Also the bass drop is too short. Listen to A-list bands and their bass drops. A bass drop should envelope the sonic area somewhat. The bass drop occurs for at least a 1/4 note in the section this song.
In the vocal parts or the song 0:49 I would automate that reverb effect with HPF/LPF so the reverb doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. (and any other area that reverb is apparent)
The Drums sound great, shell wise. The overheads are a bit crispy and need to be tamed.

Overall, nothing in your mix is truly terrible or unfix able. This is a fantastic first effort with this mix. I would beat yourself up over tuning the vocals in this song, because it will require a lot of time and there are better things to do, like mix different songs.

Best.
[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestions, I put the sub drops in more as place holders at first (were there sub drops included in the download? They didn't show up for me) but I refined them in my new version and gave them some low end. I ended up using the split bass that you were talking about and made the bass more fat sounding during the clean section so it didn't stick out so much. The kick seemed to be alot of the reason that my mix lacked low end, so I fooled around with it to make it sit more with the bass.

Cheers,
Doug

Thanks for the suggestions, I put the sub drops in more as place holders at first (were there sub drops included in the download? They didn't show up for me) but I refined them in my new version and gave them some low end. I ended up using the split bass that you were talking about and made the bass more fat sounding during the clean section so it didn't stick out so much. The kick seemed to be alot of the reason that my mix lacked low end, so I fooled around with it to make it sit more with the bass.

Cheers,
Doug
[/quote]

Much better and a big difference. Nice and clean, I think that maybe the high end is a bit bright but that's just nit picking things. Overall, I think this is the best mix out of everyone. All you need now is the Bass drops to finish it off.

To address the question on the whether the Bass drops were in the file, they were not. I made my bass drops using a signal generator in my DAW. I used 50hz. and Protools Varifi.

Cheers.
My Original Music

"One often learns more from ten days of agony than ten years of contentment."

Pro Tools 12.6/Studio One 3 Pro
Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1