Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wall of Death - Femme Mix by Nick Kapp
Hi there! This is my mix of Wall of Death's song Femme, and was mixed over the course of two days (Day one was balance and EQ, day two was automation, final tweaks, and mastering). This one is a bit different for me because I not only got a more midrangey guitar tone than I usually do, but I also layered the guitar tracks with a low gain amp sim (Poulin Hybrit) and a clean amp sim (Ignite amps preamp, I forget which one). I used the original amp tracks, along with the aforementioned amp sim reinforcement. No samples on the kit, and I duplicated the vocal track, pitching it down a bit (20-30 cents), distorted it, and took out the high end. I also re-amped the bass DI (I also used the original amp track) through a Poulin Legion for some dirty high end spank and (on a separate channel) filtered out all the high frequencies above where I was boosting on the kick drum (60 Hz) and all the infrasonic (20 Hz) frequencies. I then brick-walled this track and used it to add some sub-bass power to the guitars. This was mixed in Garageband with freeware and stock plugins on my pair of Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones. Tell me what you think!

(edit) After a day or so of reflection, I found that I was not very satisfied with the mix. The guitars sounded very dark and quite muddy, and did not have the high end aggression that this song needs. I then tweaked the mix, re-amping the guitars through an amp sim of an ENGL Powerball, which seemed to do the trick. I also got rid of the bass grit track, since it was just muddying the waters and adding some harsh frequencies to the guitars in the high end. I also backed off on my bus compression, as it was a little to pumpy for my tastes, and now the song sounds (in my opinion) far better. It's also louder now, (about 11-10 peak RMS) but I don't think anyone cares. The improved mix is v2, so I suggest you listen to that one instead, but feel free to listen to the first mix. Criticism is welcome, so tell me what you think!

.mp3    Wall of Death - Femme Master.mp3 --  (Download: 8.57 MB)

.mp3    Wall of Death - Femme Master v2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.54 MB)