Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hold on You - James May
I enjoyed this song's groove while mixing, superb recordings, and that slide guitar Cool ... too slick

I welcome your feedback on this mix.

Muthomi

.mp3    Hold On You - James May.mp3 --  (Download: 6.29 MB)

Overall, good sounding mix. Snare drum in this song was the though one. A little bit more low end on bass , and thats it.
(30-03-2017, 09:21 PM)Obelix Wrote: Overall, good sounding mix. Snare drum in this song was the though one. A little bit more low end on bass , and thats it.

Thanks Obelix for giving it a listen.

I didn't quite understand your comment regarding the snare, kindly clarify when you have a moment.

Regarding the bass, I will add some low end on bass and see what that sounds like.

I mixed this on headphones and I don't have studio monitors speakers at the moment. When it came to listening it over the apple earpods it came across as too boomy and dark. Any ideas with that?
Hi Muthomi,

Listening to your mix, in it's own right, I think it stands up pretty well, There are although, some tonal issues that I think probably relate back to your use of headphones for the mixing purpose. The main issue for me is a strong build up in the low mids region up to the 500hz mark that's really clouding the mix over.

I have added a version of your track that I've eq-ed a bit to try and balance things up for comparison. I found a -6dB shelving cut up to 530hz with a slight boost at 65hz helped matters. I also removed some harshness at 965hz ,2400hz and 10khz which become apparent when the mids were cleaned up. This is just a rough attempt at correction using my headphones and macbook whist sitting on the couch, so it's far from perfect, but I think you'll get the point. Besides these tonal balance moves are best applied to the individual tracks within the mixing session.

I hope this helps, The mix otherwise is pretty good. Referencing your mix with commercial tracks would be beneficial in this respect.Smile

Dave

.mp3    Hold On You Adjust.mp3 --  (Download: 3.95 MB)

Dave,

Thanks for the recommendations from last week.

I went back to the mix and made another attempt to correct the problems you mentioned. I have attached new mix below. Let me know if it has actually improved.

As for referencing to similar songs, I will definitely look more into that.

Sam

.mp3    Hold On You - James May (04042017).mp3 --  (Download: 6.28 MB)