Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Critique It - What I Want - Amentis Mix
This is a fun one...great stems. What do you guys think so far?

What do you like? What do you hate? What would you change?

.mp3    The Brew - What I Want - rough1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.03 MB)

My critique would be that it sounds a bit "over cooked". FX are cool, maybe not on everything though.

Second, where's the low end?!? Two things may be happening...you may be mixing on headphones or in a small room and are getting more bass than is actually there. Or conversely, maybe your mixing so long that you get used to the way it sounds.

Two possible fixes I can recommend; download sonarworks if you are using headphones AND use reference mixes to keep perspective. Secondly, take more breaks.

Specifics? The snare needs some meat. Boost around 150 as well as the top (I like an 8k shelf on an SSL style EQ). Also look around 1k as a boost for some "thwack" on that thing. Then run an 1176 in parrallel with a medium attack fast-medium release at 8:1. That will beaf it up. Also, a thick plate on a less that 1 second rever time(Valhalla vintage verb is affordable and good). Put that in parrallel as well and hard pan it left or right. It will add depth.

Good luck!
I had another thought.....the movement you are looking for with all that delay would be more effectively found using parrallel compression. You don't less punch and forwardness that way. In fact, you gain it.