Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hollow Ground: 'Left Blind' (Jejsus mix)
Hi there, must say that I did struggle with this one, but had to draw a line at some point...

- I triggered a snare and blend it in with an original one, also used a Transient Designer to lower the sustain and increase the attack and 1176se compressor.
- Reamped guitars with Marshall JMP1 and mixed them with Poulin LE456 on DI tracks.
- Only double compression and Eq on Bass guitar.
- Used 1176se and LA-2A on vocals, similar technique as explained here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=didd5Pv6Ifs

.mp3    Hollow Ground_ \'Left Blind\' (Jejsus mix).mp3 --  (Download: 5.99 MB)

Very good mix jejsus!I dont like the snare you end up with though.
Maybe some more meat at 100 hz on guitars would be nice too.Great back vocals a bit loud for me bat great!
Thank you Gopener! Damn you have good ears Smile! these two things were the ones that bothered me the most! I don't like the snare too, but I didn't want to replace it 100%, probably this is what I will do for second try. But as for guitars, if I go under 150Hz they get muddy and boxy. I've heard for a "rule" that everything below 120Hz should be mono and best not-distorted, boosting stereo panned guitars at 100Hz is totally opposite from that and I can't get clear sound out of guitars doing that. So I'm a little bit out of idea what to do in many cases, when I don't get the power that I want from guitars... If you can help me on this one I'll be more than happy, I hope there is a trick that I don't know yet Smile. Thanks again.
I have 2 main technics to not muddy the guitars and make them full, the first one is to cut a lot of 300hz and boost some 100hz (you have to be careful with the eq curves though) and the other , and more risky one Tongue, is to boost more hard 100hz and boost some on 800hz area, that will give you virtually a mud cut and fatten the guitar on mid freq too, leave you free to adjust presence and hi end as you want!You will notice that i dont boost 200hz area, thats for acoustic-clasic guitar (for me).Hope i help you dude.Big Grin
THANK YOU DUDE Big Grin! I tried both of your versions and 1st one made me happy, 2nd one made me - not so happy Big Grin, like you said it's more risky and probably not for everyday use. I will take the time for a weekend to redo a snare.I will upload 2nd version after then. Thank you very much so far. If you have any suggestion for how the snare should sound please feel free to let me know.

Cheers!
I am very happy i can help, even a little bit!I found the snare a bit difficult, as i can hear, i would find the ring or a problematic frequency and take it down for some db and then compensate the meat loss!
I will download soon the track and then i can tell you what i think precisely!Keep up dude, we all learn here, feel free to suggest anything on my mixes too!
Sorry for my late reply Gopener, I haven't got much time these two days, thank god weekend's here! You helped me a lot and I am very thankful for that. I did try to take a ring out of snare already, but failed Smile. Maybe the cause of my room, which is not perfect, maybe cause i had a bad day Smile... But all the time I was thinking of replacing it, I didn't like it from the start. I know I tried to compensate with fullness and clarity, but the meat on this snare was generally rubbish :S . I'm planning to work on this tomorrow, and hopefully will update mix after.

I will listen to your mixes, you can be sure and will give you my opinion. As a matter effect I already listened to 2 of your songs, but before I comment I'd like to take time for it, which I haven't got till now. Generally I like your mixes, they sound pro, and the thing that touches me the most is the warmth of the sound you provide in general. See ya tomorrow with an update I hope.
Thanks a lot dude, for your very kind worlds!!I will waiting for your next upload!Big Grin
Well, here it is Smile. I did listen to your advises, I hope it shows in the updated versions. One version is blended with triggered snare, the other one is 100% replaced.

Cheers!

.mp3    Hollow Ground_ \'Left Blind\' (Jejsus mix) 2nd attempt_snare_orig_and_trig.mp3 --  (Download: 6.03 MB)

.mp3    Hollow Ground_ \'Left Blind\' (Jejsus mix) 2nd attempt_snare_replaced.mp3 --  (Download: 6.03 MB)

Very nice improvement!I like the + real drums too!I would only suggest to bring more reverb on drums, bat overall very nice!