Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flames mix (first time here)
Hey! First time posting a mix, but long time follower of the forum. Love lots of the works by you people, so i thought i might share some of mixing works to hopefully have some feedback! I'm currently attending a course on mixing, first year in, but actually mixing for 2-3 years (mostly projects for my band). So, this is the first mix i'm actually satisfied with, hope you like it Big Grin

.mp3    Flames.mp3 --  (Download: 11.08 MB)

Hey zero, welcome to the forum! I like the mix! It sounds really solid. I like the sub frequency depth of the bass (don't have my subwoofer hooked up at the moment, so I can't reeeeeeeally comment accurately on it, but in my current environment I like it) and the guitars are nice and thick. Vox are clean and clear, and I like the delay on them.

The biggest offender, to me, in this is your kick. It sounds a little "flappy." I think you need to bring the attack down by either a dedicated attack/sustain plugin as Reaper has, or some other chain of your own making. If I wasn't using an attack plug, I might go for a compressor being keyed by a moderate to heavily EQ'd track that was not being routed to any audio output [using some fairly narrow band boosts at the "stick-y" frequencies) to trigger the attack down a bit while letting the bloom of the kit come out a little bit more. Maybe use a multi band compressor instead, I dunno, but maybe your whole kit could use a bit more body. I know it's a little difficult with the resonant frequencies that are happening in the lower range of the kick, so some notching may need to be involved. I think your snare could be on the "pokey" side too, so maybe a bit of sustain added to that as well.

After all of that, you could also just turn down the kick, and I might love the mix. I don't think the tone of the song disagrees with a drum tone that is a bit more on the transient side, because the drummer is a tad busy. It would be really easy to make the drums wash themselves out if you add too much sustain to the kick or the snare.

Sorry for the novella, but I haven't been on the forum for a while, and I am a bit giddy from the time apart.

And again, welcome, and nice work so far, especially for your first mix here!

Draper
(21-03-2017, 02:42 AM)loweche6 Wrote: Hey zero, welcome to the forum! I like the mix! It sounds really solid. I like the sub frequency depth of the bass (don't have my subwoofer hooked up at the moment, so I can't reeeeeeeally comment accurately on it, but in my current environment I like it) and the guitars are nice and thick. Vox are clean and clear, and I like the delay on them.

The biggest offender, to me, in this is your kick. It sounds a little "flappy." I think you need to bring the attack down by either a dedicated attack/sustain plugin as Reaper has, or some other chain of your own making. If I wasn't using an attack plug, I might go for a compressor being keyed by a moderate to heavily EQ'd track that was not being routed to any audio output [using some fairly narrow band boosts at the "stick-y" frequencies) to trigger the attack down a bit while letting the bloom of the kit come out a little bit more. Maybe use a multi band compressor instead, I dunno, but maybe your whole kit could use a bit more body. I know it's a little difficult with the resonant frequencies that are happening in the lower range of the kick, so some notching may need to be involved. I think your snare could be on the "pokey" side too, so maybe a bit of sustain added to that as well.

After all of that, you could also just turn down the kick, and I might love the mix. I don't think the tone of the song disagrees with a drum tone that is a bit more on the transient side, because the drummer is a tad busy. It would be really easy to make the drums wash themselves out if you add too much sustain to the kick or the snare.

Sorry for the novella, but I haven't been on the forum for a while, and I am a bit giddy from the time apart.

And again, welcome, and nice work so far, especially for your first mix here!

Draper

Hey Draper, thank you so much for commenting and i'm really happy you find the mix good!

After reading your advice I listened to the track again, and yeah, maybe the kick has too much click. Being mainly a drummer I tend to mix drums with the idea of sound I have behind the kit, so that could be misleading, plus i just bought new headphones and I still have to adjust to their sound (the song was mixed 50-60% with crappy 20 € earbuds and the rest with these new Sennheiser HD 598, but surprisingly i didn't have to adjust too many things, the mix translated quite well between headphones).
I didn't completely understand the triggering with the copy of the kick feeding into a compressor/eq on the main track, but with some multiband comp i got a better result, maybe I'll post the revision later for reference. Same with the snare, I listened to some mix of other people and they tended to have really long snares (sounds like the tail was distorted, not so sure), but I still prefer a snappier sound on snares, particularly because the drummer played alot with ghost notes, so I wasn't sure of how much sustain to give to it.
Aside from this I'm quite happy with the result on first try (5-6 hours, mainly because I was trying different combinations on the mic'd guitars in the files, ended up reamping them through JST Guilty Pleasures and the result was pretty thick).
Anyway, thank you so much for the feedback! Big Grin
Sounds good to me except the bass drum. Too much slap.
*-._.-[ Long live the 90s ]-._.-*