Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mandubien's mix
Hey friends !

I finally took the time to mix this great song !

I did not change the structure of the song. I had some ideas but to make them sound good meant retracking some parts. So be it, I like it as it is !

.mp3    Piece of Me.mp3 --  (Download: 7.29 MB)

Here's a first little update. More automation and kick/bass/snare were a bit loud in the first version.

.mp3    Piece of Me v2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.29 MB)

anyone ?
First check in my office on Presonus HD7s: Wow, it's a great mix. There's nothing that sticks out in a bad way, the kick is completely under control in the doublebass parts, the guitars sound great, the vocals have enough space but are not too loud. every choice you made was spot on - the volume of the whispers, melody guitars that have just the right volume, synths that sit in the perfect spot, the back and forth thing in the second chorus (at 2:10) where the main vocal "talks" with the raspy vocal, and the little guitar melody/solo that gets louder at the end of the chorus to lead the listener over into the bridge - awesome!

I love that the mix also comes down in the bridge at 2:44 like it should be, creating an atmosphere of intimacy. The snare isn't hitting like a truck in that part like in so many others mixes I have heard so far. The separation in the bridge is also really great and I had massive goosebumps TWICE before the climax at 3:12. The weird & wobbly synth at the end of the bridge at 3:40 sits perfectly in the mix.

Did you leave out the vocals on the last chorus at 4:10 on purpose? Sounds really, really cool! I was expecting them first and was a bit irritated that they weren't there, but after listening to that part 2-3 times I was like "Okay, cool idea!".

This is an awesome mix from start to end, Florian. It's very obvious how much you have improved your skills over the last couple of months. I didn't expect this quality when you asked me to listen to your mix but now I´m kinda baffled.

Cheers, and have a great weekend Smile
Dirk
Wow ! I'm honored by your kind words !

I spent a lot of time automating things to make sure every track has the right volume at the right time. I voluntary muted the vocals at 4:10 because I needed to hear the riff more than vocals which are omnipresent in this song.
I've added some bass drops to enhance the choruses when they start.

I also have the feeling my mixes sound more controlled, especially in the low ends. NTM fast track about the low end was a massive help for me ! I've decided to mix more with my monitors instead of my headphones. I have a bad & uncontrolled resonating room, but I spend more time referencing and matching things. I use my headphones to control low ends only.

I'm very glad you approve my mix. Next one will be Hammer Down !

Cheers, and have a great weekend too Smile
Florian
Hammer down is all about creating the right atmosphere for each part. Try to make the verses very small by reducing the volume and pan guitars and synths more to the middle. Then use wide guitars panned hard left/right to make the bridge and chorus bigger and wider. Also, try out small volume adjustments for each part, e.g. make the verse quieter and the chorus louder to make the mix more exciting. You can do this either by raising and lowering the volume on the master fader (you have to do this before limiting of course) or by raising/lowering individual tracks like vocals, rhythm guitars or snare. If you automate the volume of the 2buss (again - before any limiting) I would use very small adjustments by about 0.5 db. E.g. the verse sits at -1db, the bridge at -0.5 and the chorus is at 0 db. That way the limiter hits harder in the chorus and gives the mix a bit more room to move in the verse.

Synths should be flying atop of the guitars, but they don't drive the song. They are only there to create excitement. The guitars and drums are driving this song and you should give them the space they need in the mix. The main riff (the riff the song starts with) should be as big and massive as it gets every single time throughout the whole song. Think of it like a "reward" for the listener, a part where people should feel the need to bang their head every time they hear it Smile

Pro tip: The fist part of the guitar solo feels kinda empty if the hihat isn't loud enough. The hihat can add an interesting rhythmic pattern to the guitar solo and you should use this to your advantage, creating another source of excitement for the listener.
This mix is awesome. I can't really give any critiques because I think I'd be lucky to get it in this ballpark myself. Sounds great all the way through and really kept me interested the whole time. It's definitely inspired me to give this song a try. Thanks for posting!