Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mix feedback is appreciated
This is my mixed version of the Four Graham song. Please help me to improve by giving feedback. Keep in mind that this is a headphone mix with decent studio headphones (Audio Technica ATH M50x's)

Thanks in advance Wink

.mp3    Four Graham.ppunk_02.mp3 --  (Download: 6.33 MB)

Alright.
This may be a little harsh. but don't let it knock you down!
Where to start.....
Overall not too good, considering you only used headphones. Obviously there is going to be problems using headphones.
#1 lesson for you today; Don't mix with headphones unless thats honestly all you have or all you can use at the moment.
you are much better off studying Audio Signals and mixing techniques of the greats through text before jumping up and trying to do a multi track mix on headphones. Now I'm not saying eventually you can't mix on headphones but you have to understand how the image and sonic characteristics translate from your headphones, to a well setup stereo monitoring system.

Listen to what great mixes sound like on your headphones, and then go back and listen to yours. back and fourth different songs different bands/artists until you feel comfortable deciding on what you use and when.

Lesson #2
LEARN YOUR TOOLS, Then Paint Your picture.

There is no art here in this mix. it is just kinda bleh you know? mixing is about art and being able to not only let each part of the song/instruments shine, but also putting things in the right spot for the "listener" to FEEL the music!

Seriously though, don't let this put you off i am not "just an asshole" i am just being honest with you and trying to help you out! I will tell you that i have heard MUCH MUCH WORSE than what you have here. Also i don't know if this forum only allows for the type of mp3 that you posted, but if that was your mp3 file, next time see if you can use a 256kbps +

ALSO THANK YOU FOR NOT SMASHING WITH HYPER LIMITING

(18-03-2017, 10:21 PM)AES4LYFE Wrote: Alright.
This may be a little harsh. but don't let it knock you down!
Where to start.....
Overall not too good, considering you only used headphones. Obviously there is going to be problems using headphones.
#1 lesson for you today; Don't mix with headphones unless thats honestly all you have or all you can use at the moment.
you are much better off studying Audio Signals and mixing techniques of the greats through text before jumping up and trying to do a multi track mix on headphones. Now I'm not saying eventually you can't mix on headphones but you have to understand how the image and sonic characteristics translate from your headphones, to a well setup stereo monitoring system.

Listen to what great mixes sound like on your headphones, and then go back and listen to yours. back and fourth different songs different bands/artists until you feel comfortable deciding on what you use and when.

Lesson #2
LEARN YOUR TOOLS, Then Paint Your picture.

There is no art here in this mix. it is just kinda bleh you know? mixing is about art and being able to not only let each part of the song/instruments shine, but also putting things in the right spot for the "listener" to FEEL the music!

Seriously though, don't let this put you off i am not "just an asshole" i am just being honest with you and trying to help you out! I will tell you that i have heard MUCH MUCH WORSE than what you have here. Also i don't know if this forum only allows for the type of mp3 that you posted, but if that was your mp3 file, next time see if you can use a 256kbps +

ALSO THANK YOU FOR NOT SMASHING WITH HYPER LIMITING

Thanks for the response. I figured that it sounds bleh due to the headphones and I do have access to a studio with Generac monitors, but lately haven't had time to get over there. I will take the advice you gave me and I will try and book the studio and tweak the problems. In the meantime I did just get done with an updated mix.

-I widened the guitars and added slight reverb
-I tried to make the vocals sit a little better
-Attempted to adjust the low end by using bass ducking with the kick (if that makes sense)
-Managed to get a little more headroom to push the limiter just a bit more without sound clipped

Let me know what you think.

Also, I am currently working on mixing my band's EP and would like to know if you could give one of the songs a listen (I mixed it in the studio)

Again, I appreciate your honesty and I will work on improving my future mixes..

Thanks!

.mp3    3.18.2017 Four Graham.ppunk.mp3 --  (Download: 6.43 MB)

alrighty lets see here.....more problems haha Confused

its not really too bad but you may have created more problems than fixing others, it seems as though your center image is now very blurred as if nothing is truly holding it down, but you have to be careful with that now especially with the headphones lol i wouldn't pan anything with headphones honestly.

THAT SNARE AND KICK, those are the heartbeats of your mix, and it seems like if i were to guess, you drove the limiter pretty hard with the lead vocal, after toning that kick down, and now that limiter is grabbing the vocals and throwing them in my face. and pushing the drums under everything, which is okay in some situations, but not for the entire mix. like i say later in this post, with limiters man......they are awesome creations, but use them like you use a gun. only when you absolutely have too or its your last resort.

i can elaborate more, but before i forget ill say id definitely like to check out your bands track either PM google drive link or post it on here Smile

lets see haha another lesson for you after a question. what are you limiting on and why are you doing it?

1. if you're doing it to make it louder; find another way and only use a limiter or compressor if you absolutely have to or are constrained on time.

2. This applies to all tools in your arsenal; don't use the tools: EQ's, PRE-AMP emulations, Compressors, Reverb, unless you really in your head think "this is exactly what this needs!"

3. Take a couple breaks and come back to it, after listening to some references or even just music you like to listen too, let your mind wander, than come back.

4. If you're using a limiter for side chain or for a "Texture" purpose, theres no real straightforward rules for that, and usually choosing something else will give you a better texture and you'll like it more.