Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flames
I don't know what's up with the guitar trks but I found them to be the most troubling. Phasing issues made for a difficult mix. Trying to find the right tone to cut through without being to abrasive was the challenge. I tried to mix the amped guitar track but it wasn't happening. I finally decided on Peavey Revalver for my tone.

Second thing I did was replace the kick and snare because they were too tight and not very punchy.

This mix is a headphone mix and I did not check it on my monitors yet, so I'm not too sure about the low end. So it may drive your sub pretty hard.

I also noticed that the cleaner I made this mix the more flaws in the recording/performance popped out, so I decided to add dirt and lots of compression.

UPDATE: I remove the second rhythm guitar and panned it slightly off center. The only thing I am pleased with about this mix are the vocals and there probably too loud anyway.

This is one of those mixes where I find myself stuck in the undertow. So that being said, I think I have to walk away for now and do something else with my time.

UPDATE: Mixprint_3 I started over with the most of the drums/bass/guitars I also dialed back on the ambient time based plugins (but not by much) I think I'm making some progress.

This is a big ambient mix so be warned.

Feedback welcome.

Cheers.

.mp3    Flames_Mixdown.mp3 --  (Download: 12.48 MB)

.mp3    Flames_Mixprint_2.mp3 --  (Download: 12.86 MB)

.mp3    Flames_Mixprint_3.mp3 --  (Download: 7.45 MB)

My Original Music

"One often learns more from ten days of agony than ten years of contentment."

Pro Tools 12.6/Studio One 3 Pro
Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
The big thing I'm noticing that the kick is clear sounding with no space around it while the rest of the kit is all room sound, it's really disjointed sounding and the kick is almost as loud as the vocals.

The guitar and bass tones are really fizzy, almost like they were re amped without a cab sim and alow pass filter set super low (sounds like there's nothing above 2 kHz), I found blending the bass DI with the bass amp track just underneath gives the bass the definition it needs without being too clean and not having enough backbone to stand up to the wall of guitars and drums. High pass the bass amp track at 300 Hz and low pass it at 2.5 kHz so that it minimizes phase issues. The guitar amp tracks aren't bad, I found that high passing them at 100 Hz and making 2 cuts at 400 Hz and 1.5 kHz made them sit better in the mix and using the Andy Sneap C4 trick (Waves C4 or any multiband compressor set at 281 Hz with an 8:1 Ratio (C4 uses a range control so I'm assuming it's 8:1), a 16 ms attack and a 25 ms release) to press that low mid range of the guitars and even out any palm mute or more rhythmic stuff.

The vocals sound great, they don't really fit the rest of the track because of how clean they sound, but if put into a more balanced sounding mix they would sound fine. I'd turn down the feedback on the delays just a touch though, it gets alittle annoying on the choruses hearing the delay continue after every line.

Cheers, and hope this helps
Doug
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
(16-03-2017, 02:29 PM)dcp10200 Wrote: Cheers, and hope this helps
Doug
Yes this is helpful. This mix is a clear case of the "tail wagging the dog". This one got away from me entirely.

I like the delay where it is at the moment but may get tired of it later. I think I have to start from square one with the rest of the instruments.

You're spot on with your assessments though. This mix is a mess.
Thanks for the feedback.
My Original Music

Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
I listened to your 2. mix. The kick ist very clicky kind of front of the mix, the snare rather dark and boxy I miss some snap here. Not sure what happens with the guitars, they sound monoish and dull. I didn't use the DI guitars, the amped ones sounded good to me and needed just some eq (?). Vocals sounds really good.

Cheers!
(16-03-2017, 05:16 PM)AndyGallas Wrote: I listened to your 2. mix.

Cheers!

The guitar(s) sound mon because it is. I got fed up with the guita not sitting right that I muted the second rhythm guitar and put the remaineder in slightly off center.

Yeah, both of the first mixprints are garbage. I remixed the guitars/drums/bass
The vocals still need automation but that will have to wait.

Thank you for the advice, but I just saw this after I posted the Mixprint_3.
My Original Music

Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1