Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Decypher: 'Unseen' mix
Hi Smile

I gave it a try, please let me know what you think !

.mp3    unseen mix.mp3 --  (Download: 10.53 MB)

.mp3    unseen mix2-001.mp3 --  (Download: 10.53 MB)

Mixing with a dt770 for now..

Hey there! Regarding the mix, I feel that you did the vocals pretty well, they had everything it needed to cut through and didn't sound weird or out of place. They sat in the mix very well. I feel that there was a weird, whistling frequency in the high end of the snare that really annoyed me. The snare was also very dull sounding; it lacked a lot of high end, although it was quite punchy. If you removed the high end from the snare to get rid of bleed, you can eliminate bleed almost entirely with a gate (provided you set it up right). The kick was good, it sat in the mix well and sounded good for the genre. Punchy, but wasn't overly hyped. The bass cut through well enough, and judging from the low end presence in the guitars I can assume that it was doing it's job just fine. Guitars were a bit weird, they seemed to have this strange quality to them, as if there was distortion going on after the guitar amp. It sounded very strange and digital, clipped but not in a good way. Didn't hear too many super harsh frequencies in the guitar other than that, but sweep around with an EQ on a very high Q setting and nuke any frequencies that have a whistling or scratchy, "nails on a chalkboard" sound to them, just to be sure. In regards to the master, the compression on your master bus is, to be frank, absurdly aggressive. The mix volume is flying all over the place, and you can hear it pumping heavily whenever something with a lot of low end comes up. You should really back off on the compressors/limiters in your master bus (I.e. turn the ratio, input, gain reduction, or threshold down) it's really screwing with your mix. Other than that, brightening up the snare drum up and remove that weird frequency, along with figuring out where the weird sounding guitar distortion is coming from and fixing it, and your mix will improve greatly. I hope this helps!
Hey, thanks for listening !

(20-03-2017, 11:45 PM)NickKapp Wrote: In regards to the master, the compression on your master bus is, to be frank, absurdly aggressive. The mix volume is flying all over the place, and you can hear it pumping heavily whenever something with a lot of low end comes up.

Yeah thats right, i like it smashed but this is too much i agree.

For the guitars i tryed to use the provided tracks wich are saturating the input of the recording device (or mic idk) :p, i'll make another version with reamp and a sample for the snare (that i butchered Big Grin).

It deffinitely helps thanks again !
You're welcome! With the guitars, I didn't actually hear any real distortion coming from the preamps. In fact, I used the original guitar mics and got a pretty clear tone from them. The only reason I say this is that I wonder if anything in the signal chain on the guitars in your mix is clipping, as it didn't sound like the preamps were clipping as heavily as they appear to be on your mix when I was mixing the song. Just my 2 cents.

P.S. Looking forward to your re-mixed version. Hopefully it'll sound great!
Disclaimer : I'm not a professional mixer, just an amateur trying to improve my skills and help the community. So don't take my remarks too seriously Smile
Listening/working environment : Eve Audio SC205 in a "half" treated home studio / Yamaha HS50M in a standard room / DT880 / MDR7509HD

Hey,

The mix is near to good ! NickKapp analysis is very precise, well done, so not a lot to add. I found the drums a bit dull, there's a kind of phased effect on the snare, it could be clearer and punchier. And yes the guitars sound digital and they are panned too much for my taste. Just a few ajustments and you're good.
Thanks for listening TiPa Smile !

I made another version to try some amp sims but i'm still not satisfied with the guitar tone :p.

Let me know what you think !