Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trick Bird: 'Window' - adgreen mix
This song was a ton of fun to mix. The tracks were recorded wonderfully and really allowed for an open pallet of possibilites when processing the audio. I'm really trying to improve, so please be very critical with your opinions.

-Some notes-
Vocals:
I compressed the hell out of the vocals. I used a 5 band compressor to try and get some evenness, clarity, and air in the lead vocal tracks. Then tied it together with a 1.5:1 compressor on a vocal bus.

Drums:
Pretty basic processing here, I usually scoop the mids on kick drums, but this was not the case with this song. I was inspired by the New RHCP album and decided to not be afraid of the kick's mid frequencies. I like how the sound turned out. I applied a phaser to the ride cymbal in the prechorus to provide a little bit of movement in the drums.

Guitar:
Pretty standard stuff here. One of the guitars here has a pretty heavy stereo delay added in the prechorus to make it very atmospheric.

EDIT:
Removed plosives on lead vocals and backup during choruses. Did so by splitting each line and using linear fade ins to taste for each plosive.

.mp3    window_trickbird.mp3 --  (Download: 5 MB)

.mp3    window_trickbird_rmv_vox_plosives.mp3 --  (Download: 6.25 MB)

The compression on the "calling"s is pretty aggressive. The Cs just pop out of the mix. It's distracting. A faster attack on the might help and/or a lower ratio.

The phaser on the ride is cool. It does something but doesn't sound over effected.

Overall it sounds nice. It's a soft sound and it works for the song. It's hard to judge the chorus though with those "calling"s sticking out so much.
(12-11-2016, 05:40 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: The compression on the "calling"s is pretty aggressive. The Cs just pop out of the mix. It's distracting. A faster attack on the might help and/or a lower ratio.

I agree with you on that and will try a faster transient suppression, or some volume automation. Thanks for the feedback.