Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flames - ZERO Mix
Been a lurker around here for a while so hey to everyone who's a regular! I've really come to like this site!

I recently installed Studio One on my laptop and wanted to see if it had the horsepower to do a full mix and it turns out it can! I really wanted to try some drum replacement too but the kit on here was too amazing to replace.

Drums didn't get too much since they were pretty awesome to begin with. Simple parallel comp on kick and snare along with an eq to boost the snare that was pretty drastic, Kick Beef with 60hz sine, used the stereo room mic, all toms sent to a tom bus with a Channel strip, and the rest is just some basic comp and eq to even some things out.

I used Kazzorg Serpent and 3ch Rec. for the 2 DI guitar tracks with the TSE 808 in front of both and Greenback 57 IR. Used the DI Bass as well with the TSE BOD.

I have the least experience with vocals so I feel like I didn't do them justice. All 3 sent to a delay bus, then delay bus and vocals sent to a VOX MASTER bus with a little reverb and comp to even out when he get's louder. I had a really hard time keeping his dynamic but not making it sound like he was in a huge basement so there was some slight VOX MASTER volume automation.

Lemme know what you guys think! I'm hoping to do a lot more and you have some great heavy songs on here I can't wait to try!

Edit: So I turn down the gitfiddle and the kick. While listening on my 5.1 the kick was right in the balls so I had to turn that down and could really hear the guitars drown things out. I also threw on a de-esser on the vocals that was much needed and re did the delay on the vocals. Having a small primary vocal and a more drawn out delay for the backing. I also threw on a little bit of mastering as well on the master track. I will consider this the final mix but I still would love more feedback! Also this entire mix was mixed using my DT770s so it's good to know they translate well! Cheers!

.mp3    Black Crown 1(2).mp3 --  (Download: 7.64 MB)

.mp3    Black Crown Re-Edit.mp3 --  (Download: 7.64 MB)

I think your mix would win a lot if you could bring down the guitars a dB or two. Then you might try to bring up the snare and the vocals bit.

Cheers!
Yes! Definitely your guitars are way too high. Once you turn them down you'll be hearing if any other change is needed. Nice sounding mix though!