Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My First Mix!
Hey, everyone! I'm new to this mixing business, but I'm learning lots via various online resources!

For this mix, I used Tracktion T7 DAW, an amazing, affordable, and powerful piece of software. They offer a fully-functional downgraded version—but still a wonderful DAW—called T5, and if you buy certain gear from Mackie or Behringer, you get the upgrade to T6 absolutely FREE. I did this and upgraded to T7 for only $30!

Main strategies I used were:
  • Pulled everything down to around -10db for more headroom
  • Parametric EQ (mostly subtractive) and Compression on each track
  • Ended up using another Compression as a Noise Gate to filter out the subtle ringing of open strings when the guitarist was thumping it like a drum
  • A bit of Reverb (Apple AUMatrixReverb plugin) sent to an Auxiliary Return Bus (Reverb on all guitar tracks and only the Far Mic for the Sax)
  • Center panned DI guitar and Sax Far Mic; L&R panned everything else 98% each side
  • A tiny bit of Flanger on the DI guitar and a very small bit of chorus on the Far Mic Sax
  • On the Master Bus I used a bit of compression and a stereo expander for a bit more sweetness in the mix
My main plugins were in the Free Effects Bundle from Melda Productions.

I just used my regular small Logitech computer speakers for monitoring; no car/iPhone tests or anything like that.

That's just about it. Let me know what you think about the mix and what you would do differently (as well as how). I'd love to hear your feedback.

.mp3    Practice Mix - Bolz and Knecht - Summertime Edit 1 Export 1 (My Mix).mp3 --  (Download: 3.79 MB)