Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
who's who in hell sh4d0wgh0st mix
i've been learning mixing for about 2 months now and this is my first time working with vocals, any tips, advice or comments would be really helpful Smile

.mp3    last legacy mix mp3.mp3 --  (Download: 673.58 KB)

Hi sh4d0wgh0st,
There's some beat skipping thing going on that sounds unnatural and forced. Not sure if it's on purpose or a glitch, but it's a bit distracting to me. As far as the vocals, the melodic passages sound pretty good to me. However, the raspy parts sound a bit on the weak side. Maybe a little too "clean." (I had to compress the shit out of them--to the point of distortion--and, add a touch of reverb to get them to sit right for me on my mix.) Overall though, a solid effort for only having been doing this for two months! Everything sounds well balanced on my end. I recommend trying to get your hands really dirty, and do a mix of the full version of the song.
Best regards,
Jeff
(07-03-2017, 11:52 PM)jeffssoloband Wrote: Hi sh4d0wgh0st,
There's some beat skipping thing going on that sounds unnatural and forced. Not sure if it's on purpose or a glitch, but it's a bit distracting to me. As far as the vocals, the melodic passages sound pretty good to me. However, the raspy parts sound a bit on the weak side. Maybe a little too "clean." (I had to compress the shit out of them--to the point of distortion--and, add a touch of reverb to get them to sit right for me on my mix.) Overall though, a solid effort for only having been doing this for two months! Everything sounds well balanced on my end. I recommend trying to get your hands really dirty, and do a mix of the full version of the song.
Best regards,
Jeff

thanks mate, just have the problem of a really slow computer that can't handle 30 odd tracks with plugins Smile will defiantly try a lot more different techniques with the vocals

(07-03-2017, 03:31 PM)sh4d0wgh0st Wrote: i've been learning mixing for about 2 months now and this is my first time working with vocals, any tips, advice or comments would be really helpful Smile

My advice is to start with something that has less moving parts and requires less fixing. There're plenty of session on this site geared toward those who are new to mixing.

Kick drum is round and lacks a great deal of energy. Watch videos on youtube on how to eq Metal kick.
Your Tom sounds like a plastic 5 gal. bucket. not a good metal drum sound.

The bass guitar sounds pretty good but its the loudest thing in the mix atm.
There's no glue, meaning the interconnecting relationship of all the instruments playing in the same room together.

You have to use Eq and compression and selective time based effects to make this happen.

Instruments have their own fundamental frequency ranges and most of them crossover each other and that's why Eqing is important when mixing so that they don't mask each other.

If your computer is not powerful then that's another reason to start with something smaller.

Also you can use Auxiliary channels to send multiple signals to specific plugins to do most of the heavy lifting.

Mix the entire song and there will be more information to analyse.

Best.
My Original Music

"One often learns more from ten days of agony than ten years of contentment."

Pro Tools 12.6/Studio One 3 Pro
Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1