Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's Who in Hell (jsb mix)
Hmu with questions/ comments/ concerns. Thx! m/

UPDATE: first revision is posted (WWIH_320_rev1.mp3).

****SECOND UPDATE: second revision is posted (WWIH_320_rev1.2.mp3). Better or worse?

.mp3    WWIH_320_rev1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.59 MB)

.mp3    WWIH_320.mp3 --  (Download: 9.55 MB)

.mp3    WWIH_320_rev1.2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.57 MB)

(05-03-2017, 10:57 PM)jeffssoloband Wrote: Hmu with questions/ comments/ concerns. Thx! m/
I would really turn down those vocals and brighten the guitars man.. And i personal scrapped the original shells of the whole kit for the sample tracks the were alot better to work with
(21-03-2017, 05:22 AM)tubby98 Wrote:
(05-03-2017, 10:57 PM)jeffssoloband Wrote: Hmu with questions/ comments/ concerns. Thx! m/
I would really turn down those vocals and brighten the guitars man.. And i personal scrapped the original shells of the whole kit for the sample tracks the were alot better to work with

Hey, thanks for listening and for the feedback. I kinda thought the vox might be on the "too loud" side. As for the guitars, I thought I was already pretty bright. But I'll go back and reassess. For the drums, I actually tried to blend both the sample tracks with the originals. I thought the samples sounded too robotic, and the originals were too all over the place. I had hoped that blending them would give a more human feel, but I guess that didn't work as expected. I'll check out your mix to compare. Back to the drawing board...

Hey there Jeff.

I like the liberties you took creatively and its seems like you were having fun with this and that's really what its all about.

I also like that you've included the bands artwork in your meta data.

Your edits, although they're cool are distracting and disjunctive in the context of the mix.

The vocals are loud and feel separate from the mix. CLNVOX is louder than DISTVOX

The bass guitar sucks (signal wise) and should be eq'ed to adjust for its quality. in other words, you have it boosted around 1.5khz. or so and all I hear is this plucking sound every so often other than that the bass is no where to be found.
The drums are low in the mix. The kick and snare should be punching your face in.
The kick sound tubby like there's too much low between 100 and 400 hz. scoop 200 with an octive to 1/2 octive Q.
Although your mix is lacking in the aforementioned areas its fun and interesting.

Best.
My Original Music

"One often learns more from ten days of agony than ten years of contentment."

Pro Tools 12.6/Studio One 3 Pro
Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
Hey,
Thanks for taking the time to listen, and providing such detailed & constructive criticism. I appreciate it! I made some adjustments per your comments, and posted a revision in my original post. Lemme know what you think if you have the time.
Thanks again,
Jeff

Hmm... something gone wrong with the revision 1? Sounds like the drum tracks were duplicated and the copies are slightly offset in time causing constant flam effect. Or maybe drum sources for sidechaining are accidentally routed also to mix bus or something.
(02-04-2017, 09:59 PM)kapu Wrote: Hmm... something gone wrong with the revision 1? Sounds like the drum tracks were duplicated and the copies are slightly offset in time causing constant flam effect. Or maybe drum sources for sidechaining are accidentally routed also to mix bus or something.
I think I figured out the problem. The snare being picked up by the overheads is out of sync with the snare samples I am using. I need to fix that. Thanks!
(03-04-2017, 04:16 PM)jeffssoloband Wrote:
(02-04-2017, 09:59 PM)kapu Wrote: Hmm... something gone wrong with the revision 1? Sounds like the drum tracks were duplicated and the copies are slightly offset in time causing constant flam effect. Or maybe drum sources for sidechaining are accidentally routed also to mix bus or something.
I think I figured out the problem. The snare being picked up by the overheads is out of sync with the snare samples I am using. I need to fix that. Thanks!
So as @kapu pointed out, I was getting a weird flam effect in my drums. I thought I had it figured out, but I was only partially right. After zooming in more closely, I can see that there is a few ticks difference between the real kick and the trigger and sample files that are provided. Did anyone else notice this right away and fix it from the get-go? Or did you not use a combo of real + sample? Or is it just me lol?? I uploaded a screenshot to show what I'm talking about.

Thumbnail(s)

(04-04-2017, 01:26 AM)jeffssoloband Wrote: So as @kapu pointed out, I was getting a weird flam ...

Can't remember if I noticed this issue right away. I usually 'inspect' the tracks pretty carefully before anything else. Even though this could have been taken care of during recording and editing, these processes tend to overlap with mixing as well.

I don't know if it's on purpose, but almost every multitrack session provided here has some educational problems that need solving. ^_^
(04-04-2017, 02:35 AM)kapu Wrote:
(04-04-2017, 01:26 AM)jeffssoloband Wrote: So as @kapu pointed out, I was getting a weird flam ...

I don't if it's on purpose, but almost every multitrack session provided here has some educational problems that need solving. ^_^

Lesson learned Cool