Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
An unusual "high risk" mix
As always - critiques welcome!

.mp3    PhreTheEonRoughMix4.mp3 --  (Download: 5.98 MB)

That is a somewhat strange mix you've created here. Maybe a bit too risky?

My overall impression is that I am hearing someone playing bass along the rest of a track coming from his stereo. It is so upfront (though great sounding!). The rest sounds to muffeled to my ears. The flanging (?) on the hats/ride is a nice touch but it wears out over the song.

I'd really suggest, that you rethink the overall balance and try to work in your ideas from there.
(23-07-2012, 09:21 AM)Artbass Wrote: That is a somewhat strange mix you've created here. Maybe a bit too risky?

My overall impression is that I am hearing someone playing bass along the rest of a track coming from his stereo. It is so upfront (though great sounding!). The rest sounds to muffeled to my ears. The flanging (?) on the hats/ride is a nice touch but it wears out over the song.

I'd really suggest, that you rethink the overall balance and try to work in your ideas from there.

Thanks very much for taking the time to post your helpful comments. I am rethinking my approach and "cleaning" it up a bit. I'll probably post my second attempt.

- Chris

(24-07-2012, 02:42 PM)Drummer1 Wrote: I'll probably post my second attempt.

Yes, please do so. After all, most of us are here to improve, aren't we?
Thanks for your suggestions! I took a step back and thought some more about how to get what I think is a retro/modern sounding bass to sit better, and how to better emphasize the guitar work as the song progresses, while trying to maintain an authentic sounding consistency in the the bass and drums. I think this works better and look forward to your critiques!

Chris

.mp3    PhreTheEonRoughMix9.mp3 --  (Download: 5.98 MB)

You definitly improved it. It sounds more together than in your first version. It still sounds a bit muffled though. I think a bit more "air" would do your mix some good and (pardon the pun) let it breath more. As it is right now I get the impression that the only high frequencies come from the cymbals.

Anyway, for my ears you're definitly moving into the right direction.