Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lindy Hip Big Band: 'Makin' Whoopee'
A great way to spend a Sunday afternoon, playing with music like this.Smile

A lightly processed mix with most of my efforts going into reverbs. I've used 9 seperate instalments of reverbs across the mix to help close in on the sound I was after.
I'm quite familiar with the pre 1950's mono recordings of these big band tunes but I'm not a big fan of the late 50's-60s stereo hifi type sound that emerged thereafter. For me, they've got a hyped unnatural sound with crazy panning moves that could easily put your head into a spin with headphones on. With all that been said, I used a modern 2010 recording of the Masaru Uchibori Big Band which I liked for reference. My mix comes across a lot brighter than other efforts posted here, but I feel I have followed my reference choice closely.

Thank you to Bill Rowse and band. Also the beautiful vocal performance that was a real delight to work with. The pleasure was all mine.Big Grin

Thanks for listening.

.mp3    LindyHipBigBand_MakinWhoopee_Dangerous#1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.85 MB)

Sounds really good. I think the vocal could be a hair louder. Sometimes it gets outshone by the piano.
I don't think it sounds too bright. Maybe when the horns really dig in but that's a nice dynamic element.

(05-03-2017, 03:39 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Sounds really good. I think the vocal could be a hair louder. Sometimes it gets outshone by the piano.
I don't think it sounds too bright. Maybe when the horns really dig in but that's a nice dynamic element.

Thanks Roy. I might lift the vocal a dB when I update the mix. There is some clashing with the piano and brass at times also that I don't like. I think I'll have a go at automating the piano volume though the song to help it marry into the performance. It's worth a try.
Hi Dave ,
Sounds pretty good to me ,Love the vocals ,listening on horrortone the piano could be a touch warmer maybe just taming the attack of the piano (great name for a band the attack of the piano lol ).

Nice one Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(08-03-2017, 09:03 AM)thedon Wrote: Hi Dave ,
Sounds pretty good to me ,Love the vocals ,listening on horrortone the piano could be a touch warmer maybe just taming the attack of the piano (great name for a band the attack of the piano lol ).

Nice one Big Grin

"The Attack Of The Piano" A name like that, It's probably already been taken somewhere in the world.Big Grin

Thanks for the tips with the piano. It's certainly worth the effort to try and get right. Playing with the attack setting could be the answer.

Cheers
I like it very much. So far, one of the best mixes. Great job !
Marce Morales
(02-08-2017, 12:39 AM)mmorales2412 Wrote: I like it very much. So far, one of the best mixes. Great job !

Thanks for the kind words Marce. Listening back to it, I think another dB one the vocal could be beneficial.

I would quit my day job to work with music like this.Big Grin

Dave.
(07-03-2017, 12:29 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Thanks Roy. I might lift the vocal a dB when I update the mix. There is some clashing with the piano and brass at times also that I don't like. I think I'll have a go at automating the piano volume though the song to help it marry into the performance. It's worth a try.

I personally think that vocal sits very well in the mix, brass instruments are pretty loud so the fact that the vocal doesnt stand out to much is good with me.

Regarding the piano, I like mine (in songs like this) to be a bit more mellow, but you do you. But I have the feeling that some lower piano frequencies are clashing with the Brass.

But other than that this mix is great Big Grin!

LukasAngel

(06-08-2017, 02:59 PM)LukasL Wrote:
(07-03-2017, 12:29 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Thanks Roy. I might lift the vocal a dB when I update the mix. There is some clashing with the piano and brass at times also that I don't like. I think I'll have a go at automating the piano volume though the song to help it marry into the performance. It's worth a try.

I personally think that vocal sits very well in the mix, brass instruments are pretty loud so the fact that the vocal doesnt stand out to much is good with me.

Regarding the piano, I like mine (in songs like this) to be a bit more mellow, but you do you. But I have the feeling that some lower piano frequencies are clashing with the Brass.

But other than that this mix is great Big Grin!

LukasAngel

You could be right, I did try to present it to be clear and to be heard. In doing so, it does set it up to clash with the vocal performance. A more mellow approach as an accompaniment would have allowed it sit a bit better perhaps. This could untangle it from the lower brass freqs also. Something I'm sure to experiment with.

Thanks for the insight.