Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Black Crown: 'Flames'
Here is Version 1,
Spent about an hour and a half so far ,didn't have to do much just a little eq as I think the tracks are well recorded especially the overheads.
Didn't re-amp or replace any drums yet just Used the amped guitars and original drums with some parallel compression.
Any advice is always welcome as usual.

Cheers Big Grin

.mp3    Flames V1..mp3 --  (Download: 12.8 MB)

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Sounds pretty good to me. My only issues on a quick listen is the vocals are a little over the top of the band. They sound good but too out front for the genre I think. I think if they come back into the band then the overall track will have a little more power. The bridge drone guitar feels a little buried.

I really like the bass sound.

Overall it sounds great. There are some minor vocal tweaks but there's nothing to complain about.
I do really like the bass guitar in this. What did you do to it?
(04-03-2017, 02:28 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Sounds pretty good to me. My only issues on a quick listen is the vocals are a little over the top of the band. They sound good but too out front for the genre I think. I think if they come back into the band then the overall track will have a little more power. The bridge drone guitar feels a little buried.

I really like the bass sound.

Overall it sounds great. There are some minor vocal tweaks but there's nothing to complain about.
Thanks for having a listen Roy,
listening back with fresh ears the vocals are too loud also the drone guitar I think i rolled off too much bottom end which I will try to fix in version 2.
I'm happy you like the bass sound.
Thanks for the feedback !
Cheers Big Grin

(04-03-2017, 08:41 PM)adgreen Wrote: I do really like the bass guitar in this. What did you do to it?
Hi adgreen,
I'm happy you like the bass .
With the DI ran through ferox tape saturation which is awesome and free.
Used reaper stock JS bass manager/booster 6db boost at 90hz.
used NastyLF and Nasty HF for some low end and high end saturation which are also free from www.vst4free.com
ran through a la2a compressing 3db mainly just to add some more colour.
With the bass amp also used ferox tape saturation and rolled off everything below 200hz and jus slightly mix in with DI for some top end grit to taste.

Cheers Big Grin

Thumbnail(s)

(04-03-2017, 11:04 PM)thedon Wrote:
(04-03-2017, 08:41 PM)adgreen Wrote: I do really like the bass guitar in this. What did you do to it?
Hi adgreen,
I'm happy you like the bass .
With the DI ran through ferox tape saturation which is awesome and free.
Used reaper stock JS bass manager/booster 6db boost at 90hz.
used NastyLF and Nasty HF for some low end and high end saturation which are also free from www.vst4free.com
ran through a la2a compressing 3db mainly just to add some more colour.
With the bass amp also used ferox tape saturation and rolled off everything below 200hz and jus slightly mix in with DI for some top end grit to taste.

Cheers Big Grin

Thanks for the info. It really adds a good bounce to the rythym of the song.

Nice mix and the bass sits nicely. Just pull the vox down a bit imo.
(06-03-2017, 09:17 PM)chuck moe Wrote: Nice mix and the bass sits nicely. Just pull the vox down a bit imo.
I agree will pull down the vox down a bit in the next version .

Thanks for the feedback Big Grin

Hey Don, your mix sounds great, that bass is just growling through really nice, I'll have to check out some tape saturation on my bass with some high end exciting. Really my only complaint is that the low end of the mix doesn't quite connect together, the kick, bass, and low end of the guitars seem to be in different spaces and it really takes away from the "Wall of Sound" these kinds of tracks need.

Don't be afraid of the 100-500 Hz range, scooping it does clean the low end up but it can very easily overdone and make the mix sound too scooped. Pulling the guitars in to about 60% panning can also help to connect the bass and guitars together, at least from what I found. I found that making the bass tone more similar to the guitar tone helps to really butt it up under the guitars, think of the bass sounds on the heavier Tool tracks like Vicarious and Jambi, or Karnivool's Sound Awake album, they're borderline guitar tones but an octave down. Try lowpassing the DI bass at 2 kHz and let the saturated amp tone add the high end grit from 300 Hz to 4.5 kHz.

Otherwise you'e got a great mix going on, the vocals are clear and the drums sound powerful.

Cheers, and hope this helps
Doug
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
The balance between the elements sound really good to me. I find the snare could have more punch and power sound wise I mean not necessarily louder. The vocals sounds a bit honky. If I listen really really loud the vocal sound hurts; perhaps it's also a half dB to loud. The kick sounds quite thin and doesn't perform the hammering groove it could in the lowend – on the other hand you managed to compensate for it with a nice, full sounding bass.

I think while it is overall nicely balanced you mixed it a bit too save. E.g. when the chorus chimes in, it could get louder, explode and then get constantly (musically, unnoticeable) quiter to the point where you startet until to the next chorus or pre chorus ... You might also pimp the emotional buildup with effect, delay, etc. I think this song almost begs for that to get more exciting. Of course, just my view of trying to make the best out of it.

Cheers,
Andy