Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ronnie Jones: 'Why Don't You Stay'
Finally, I've had some time to play with this one.

Nothing fancy, a quick, time-poor "put together". Would have liked to reference this more closely with a commercial track but really struggled to find anything comparable within my library. Some more extensive automation would have been nice also.

Stuck with the Reaper stock plugs for this one using Valhalla for the verbs. Another great arrangement and quality song.

Thanks for listeningSmile

Update Mix#2b Some adjustments based on Roy and Don's comments. Some taming of the guitars and alterations to the bass eq. I found the Rhodes was also contributing to the distortion sound which I've also cleaned up. I've decided to give the vocal in the bridge section some "Crowded House" style reverb". Finally I have added some much needed dynamic movement to the song.
I may make further adjustments once the dust has settled.

.mp3    RonnieJones_WhyDontYouStay_Dangerous#1.mp3 --  (Download: 11.58 MB)

.mp3    RonnieJones_WhyDontYouStay_Dangerous#2b.mp3 --  (Download: 11.64 MB)

.mp3    RonnieJones_WhyDontYouStay_Dangerous#3b.mp3 --  (Download: 11.6 MB)

I like it. It's a mellow mix but in a good way. Here's what I noticed
-The high end of the bass sounds a little weird. Almost distorted. I only really notice it at the top. I suspect it's there in the chorus but I'm not noticing it. The low end of the bass feels fine. There's a noise at 3:40 that pops out I think it's probably on the bass track.
-The guitar on the left and the similar one that comes in at the chorus feel a little too bright for the mix. Like if this were a painting with mostly pastel, muted colors these guitars would be a vibrant red. At least, that analogy just popped into my head and seemed to fit.
-Is the organ too loud?
-I think the bridge and solo section could grow a little more and get bigger.

That's everything that jumped out at me. Nothing major. Sounds really good.
G'day Dave,
listening on old horrortones. Roy is spot on with his comments ,the organ could come down a touch and just a touch taming the guitars.
Maybe a touch more fuller mid bass on the bass guitar as hearing the distortion Roy can hear.
For a quick mix great job.
Some minor and easy things for you to sort out.

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Thanks for the comments guys, first class! Listening to the mix the day after, I can agree completely with these thoughts. Especially with the builds, It's as flat as a Pune pitch isn't at the moment. I'm still not sure on the drums either, and whether they need to come up a little or leave them alone.

Thanks for some direction with this one, I sure needed it.Big Grin
New Mix 2b uploaded based on Roy and Don's comments. Thanks GuysBig Grin
Listening to 2b now. Before coffee. Here's what I hear.
-Is there some modulation on the opening lead guitar? It feels a little wobbly, pitch wise. Maybe it's just like that and I never noticed.
-The main electric on the left feels a little to dry and apart from the mix. Maybe it could come back a notch.
-I think the vocal could come up. Especially in the chorus. It 'melts' into the background vocals. I think it should still be in focus during the chorus. Also, I think the vocal coming up would balance out the center of the image with the sides. I like the width of the mix but it just needs a little more weight in the center and the vocal would fit the bill.
-It feels a little dry overall. I think the staccato guitar parts give it a bit of an edge and "sharpness" that could be softened with some reverb or delay.

Overall it sounds pretty good and is a step up from the first version. Like the tones of everything. It feels smooth but not weak.
(15-03-2017, 01:51 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Listening to 2b now. Before coffee. Here's what I hear.
-Is there some modulation on the opening lead guitar? It feels a little wobbly, pitch wise. Maybe it's just like that and I never noticed.
-The main electric on the left feels a little to dry and apart from the mix. Maybe it could come back a notch.
-I think the vocal could come up. Especially in the chorus. It 'melts' into the background vocals. I think it should still be in focus during the chorus. Also, I think the vocal coming up would balance out the center of the image with the sides. I like the width of the mix but it just needs a little more weight in the center and the vocal would fit the bill.
-It feels a little dry overall. I think the staccato guitar parts give it a bit of an edge and "sharpness" that could be softened with some reverb or delay.

Overall it sounds pretty good and is a step up from the first version. Like the tones of everything. It feels smooth but not weak.

I glad you listened before the coffee.lolBig Grin Thanks for the input!
I feel somehow I'm not giving this one the time it deserves. I have made some more moves (mix#3) based on your thoughts as I do agree with them. I have basically tried to tie it together a bit better overall with this in mind.

ThanksBig Grin