Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Flame Mixed by Doug
Listening only to the last master. I really like it, just missing a little crisp on guitars. Love your kick sound. Aaaaaand I would lower that HiHat, I hear it huge. And miss some effects on vocals to the end of the song. Only that. Any else is loud and proud Wink
(13-03-2017, 09:40 AM)thedon Wrote: Hi Doug,
Nice solid and balanced mix sounds nice and full on headphones ,the drums sound punchy in the centre which is great,Thinking a touch more balance with the guitars and drum kit in the stereo field as missing some room ambience of the whole drumkit and a lot of low frequencies if the guitars in the side channels.
Just some thoughts while listening on headphones and could be wrong again Blush

Well Done Big Grin

Thanks Don, I used the stereo room track on the drums pretty heavily along with some plate verb on the snare and toms. The guitars are highpassed with an SSL style HPF which was pretty gentle (I could get away with a 120 Hz roll off and still have the guitars sound dense Big Grin), backing that off may help a bit. I really wanted the bass to act more as the low end of my guitars and be the anchor for the mix, a chorus may help that out.

Thanks for the suggestions,
Doug
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
(14-03-2017, 02:13 AM)matiasgodoy399 Wrote: Listening only to the last master. I really like it, just missing a little crisp on guitars. Love your kick sound. Aaaaaand I would lower that HiHat, I hear it huge. And miss some effects on vocals to the end of the song. Only that. Any else is loud and proud Wink

Thanks Matias, I'm thinking the same about the guitars myself, I may just try reamping them or blending a brighter tone with the original guitar tracks to give some more definition to them. My mix reference had a fairly dark sound to it and I originally had the hats lower in the mix and they ended up being boosted for my latest mix, I'll probably turn them down abit.

Cheers,
Doug
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
I think this mix is GREAT. Nothing big to complain. Congrats!
FAT! Cool mix (the 3rd one). Perhaps back of the bus compressing, it's a bit pumping.

Cheers and thanks in advance,
Doug

[/quote]

Your mix is loud and bright. I think overall this is a solid mix. I have no Idea what it is about this session, but no one seems to be able to get a real good mix. One good question to ask is why does every mix end up being "washy" due to compression and ambiance build up? Given the fact that the drums are samples and the bass and guitars are DI, why is this session so loose? However, you did better than others with this take. I listened to everyone's mix of this song and to be honest, no one is able to rate. (especially myself)
My Original Music

"One often learns more from ten days of agony than ten years of contentment."

Pro Tools 12.6/Studio One 3 Pro
Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
(16-03-2017, 10:05 PM)wesleyamltd Wrote: Cheers and thanks in advance,
Doug

Your mix is loud and bright. I think overall this is a solid mix. I have no Idea what it is about this session, but no one seems to be able to get a real good mix. One good question to ask is why does every mix end up being "washy" due to compression and ambiance build up? Given the fact that the drums are samples and the bass and guitars are DI, why is this session so loose? However, you did better than others with this take. I listened to everyone's mix of this song and to be honest, no one is able to rate. (especially myself)
[/quote]

I'm gonna take it as a complement I guess? I really don't know what you want out of this track, I really didn't hear any big issues in performance myself other than the cut offs on the bass being abit late (I forgot to tighten those up), and when I played my mix back through a consumer system in a playlist with some Tool, Karnivool, and some other bands in this genre, it didn't really sound out of place with them.

The drums on this aren't replaced, they're the stock sample sounds that came with the multis, I particularlly like the room sound and how it gives the verses a more spacious sound. I used the amp tracks for the guitars and not the DIs, honestly the tones just needed some massaging to fit in with my mix and really it's a pretty similar tone to what I would have tried to get if I was reamping the guitars. This genre isn't like most modern metal and rock as far as timing is concerned, I assume you mostly work with modern Metalcore, Deathcore, and Radio Rock kind of stuff, so robotic timing is what you're used to. This stuff here is more so in the vein of bands like Tool, Karnivool, Dorje, Barroness, and even some of the latter works of Opeth, which lends to a more rough and ready kind of production.

(17-03-2017, 02:27 AM)dcp10200 Wrote: [quote='wesleyamltd' pid='57654' dateline='1489698340']

I assume you mostly work with modern Metalcore, Deathcore, and Radio Rock kind of stuff, so robotic timing is what you're used to. This stuff here is more so in the vein of bands like Tool, Karnivool, Dorje, Barroness, and even some of the latter works of Opeth, which lends to a more rough and ready kind of production.

You can edit the quote in your reply, btw.
Yes it was a complement. I was trying to create a dialog about this session, since most people who know about mixing this song are the people on this site.
All of those bands are super tight, just listen to Tool Schism it doesn't get much tighter than that. I think you're being way to fair to this band/session. The guitars are out of phase and recorded badly, it shows on the DI even, as it would. The kit still sounds like a sampled kit and the bass sound could be better. I'm talking about the source material here. Bad guitar/bass + mediocre playing/arrangement +bad mic placement = washy phasey weird song. Dude, the vocals are so processed to begin with, if I did nothing to fix them they would sound all garglely and autotuned. I used Console1 for color/harmonic distortion. Not starting a fight but trying to be objective. garbage in garbage out.
My Original Music

"One often learns more from ten days of agony than ten years of contentment."

Pro Tools 12.6/Studio One 3 Pro
Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
I usually choose a ref mix from this forum that I think sounds great so I have a clear goal in front of me. I was using your latest version as a reference for my mix of this song - I think that says it all Smile I really love this mix! There is not much I can say / write that would be of any help to you because for my ears there is nothing that sounds wrong, weird or harsh. When I compare my mix with your mix I think there is a tiny bit more movement/excitement in the drums in my mix, but that's probably just because my drums are louder.

Keep up the good work, Doug. And thanks for setting the bar so high every time that I really have to work hard to keep up with you Smile
(06-04-2017, 09:11 PM)Blitzzz Wrote: I usually choose a ref mix from this forum that I think sounds great so I have a clear goal in front of me. I was using your latest version as a reference for my mix of this song - I think that says it all Smile I really love this mix! There is not much I can say / write that would be of any help to you because for my ears there is nothing that sounds wrong, weird or harsh. When I compare my mix with your mix I think there is a tiny bit more movement/excitement in the drums in my mix, but that's probably just because my drums are louder.

Keep up the good work, Doug. And thanks for setting the bar so high every time that I really have to work hard to keep up with you Smile

Thank Dirk! I was thinking the same about the drums in my mix, for this kind of stuff I prefer a more ambient sound for the drums (it shouldn't be a surprise that Bonham's sound is my standard for rock drums Big Grin). Glad you liked the mix, I think where a lot of people go wrong on this track is trying to mix the bass so it sounds scooped out and squeaky clean, for this track you really need to make your bass tone more fuzzy and gritty (think of a guitar tuned down a full octave) so that it butts right up under the guitars and provides the anchor for the low end of the mix.

Just listen to some Tool, Karnivool, or Baroness, the bass tones on those records are almost like guitar tones with extra bottom end, I think once you nail that down the rest of the mix just falls into place. I've only gotten to listen to your new mix on my phone but even with the crap sounding speaker that's built in I can here a decent improvement overall, the drums all fit into the mix and are working with the ambient mics to fill the track out.

Cheers,
Doug