Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
Makin' Whoopee
01-03-2017, 07:32 PM
Makin' Whoopee
Here's a half-assed attempt at this one. I wasn't really sure what I was doing but I gave it a shot. I may have been a little heavy handed.
Anyway, the only thing of note about this one was I went with a traditional Big Band panning layout so it might feel a little weird but in the end I kinda dig how the balances turned out. I did it fairly fast because I thought if I over thought it I'd ruin it.

Feel free to etc.
Cheers!

.mp3   Makin Whoopee-MxA1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.82 MB)

I only have earbuds to listen and mix with at the moment. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.
Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2017, 11:37 AM
RE: Makin' Whoopee
It maybe half-assed, but I think you're gone about it the right way, without over doing it. A great natural sound that exploits the performance nicely. At first I thought the vocal was a dB or 2 too hot, but by the end I was quite comfortable where it sat. The only other thing for me was I found the piano a little buried at times and probably just needs a slight push forward. Otherwise I like it, Great mix.
05-03-2017, 03:44 PM
RE: Makin' Whoopee
Thanks Dave. I'm on the fence about the vocal. I think internationally I meant to put it on the same level as the rest of the band so I'm ok with it being on the loud side.
You're right about the piano. I think I even wound up making it mono by the end of the mix. It should be a little bigger and have a little more top.

I just noticed how boomy the bass is. I think it got into the reverb and it muddies up it's sound. Oh well.

I only have earbuds to listen and mix with at the moment. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Support my video work!
Advertisement: