Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
AM Contra - Heart Peripheral (Rodnie King Mix & MSTR)
I'm more of an R&B guy, but I figured I would give this genre a go.

I appreciate both negative and positive feedback. Give a listen and holla back!

Of course the .wav file sounds better, so if you want then download that here.

.m4a    AMContra_HeartPeripheral_RodnieKingMix.m4a --  (Download: 7.63 MB)

Producer at Heart, Engineer by Trade

"Show Me Your Best"

RodnieKing.com
Spotify

Sounds pretty good to me. I have no complaints.
I'm not really familiar with this kind of music and I'm on earbuds at the moment but here's some minor things that jumps out at me.
-I really want some more high end. Just some salt an top of the whole thing. But honestly I can't think of where it'd come from. I think it's a limitation of the arrangement. I think what you have to work with has all the right tones and eqs. The vocals are the brightest element but they're fine tonally and bright enough. Maybe you could sneak an exciter on some part that might spice it up a little more but there might not be a right track to do it with.
-Again, I'm on earbuds but I want to feel a little more thump from the kick. Not a lot. It feels good as it. I'm just being greedy.
-I think it could have a little more "height" dynamically. There feels like there should be a considerable jump between the verse and chorus. The "yeah" vocals at the top of the chorus are as loud as the rest of the chorus. The vocal level feels right leaning towards loud so I wouldn't touch them. I'd look at the parts that come in at the chorus and see if those levels could come up and amp up the excitement.

Overall it sounds really good. No complaints. I think it feels just a little safe and a little restrained. It could be a overall monitoring volume thing. I'm listening at "normal" levels on earbuds. I bet it kicks if it's cranked or in a club. That might satisfy anything extra I want from it.
Great job
(27-02-2017, 01:09 AM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Sounds pretty good to me. I have no complaints.
I'm not really familiar with this kind of music and I'm on earbuds at the moment but here's some minor things that jumps out at me.
-I really want some more high end. Just some salt an top of the whole thing. But honestly I can't think of where it'd come from. I think it's a limitation of the arrangement. I think what you have to work with has all the right tones and eqs. The vocals are the brightest element but they're fine tonally and bright enough. Maybe you could sneak an exciter on some part that might spice it up a little more but there might not be a right track to do it with.
-Again, I'm on earbuds but I want to feel a little more thump from the kick. Not a lot. It feels good as it. I'm just being greedy.
-I think it could have a little more "height" dynamically. There feels like there should be a considerable jump between the verse and chorus. The "yeah" vocals at the top of the chorus are as loud as the rest of the chorus. The vocal level feels right leaning towards loud so I wouldn't touch them. I'd look at the parts that come in at the chorus and see if those levels could come up and amp up the excitement.

Overall it sounds really good. No complaints. I think it feels just a little safe and a little restrained. It could be a overall monitoring volume thing. I'm listening at "normal" levels on earbuds. I bet it kicks if it's cranked or in a club. That might satisfy anything extra I want from it.
Great job

I really appreciate the feedback. I thought it was lacking in dynamics too, but then I second guessed and thought it was fine. I went back and added some automation and addressed the other areas you mentioned to varying degrees.

I replaced the old file so both the stream and the .wav link are new. Enjoy!
Producer at Heart, Engineer by Trade

"Show Me Your Best"

RodnieKing.com
Spotify

Listening to your latest mix ,missed the first version Blush.
Sounds great on my monitors , love the effects.
The bottom sounds a touch heavy in the deep loose bass 30hz and below with the kick, when the bass comes can hear some low end competing with the bass competing with the punch of the kick around 90hz area which I would probably do a touch more eq or side chain on the bass in that area ?

Just some guesses while having a listen !

Well Done Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Sound good to me. It's a little more exciting and bigger but not overboard.