One Minute Smile
I mixed this in studio one using Console 1 SSL 4000/9000

Reverb: Presonus/EZmix2 EMT 240 plate
Delay: Presonus
Mixbuss: Satin masterbuss Tape/SS FGX limiter/Ozone Dither

I replaced the drums except OH, Snare and Tamb

Feedback is welcome.

Cheers.

.mp3    One Minute Smile.mp3 --  (Download: 6.2 MB)

My Original Music

"One often learns more from ten days of agony than ten years of contentment."

Pro Tools 12.6/Studio One 3 Pro
Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
I would of replaced the snare, or at least eq it some more. Right now it has a lot of ring to it, and also sounds a little roomy. Something that sounds more direct and with more crack I think would work better with your kick choice. Tambourine comes in a little hot for me, which ends up burying the tom fills. I don't mind the tambourine volume around 1:55 though, where the song pulls back a little.

Guitar and bass sound solid. I like the tones on those, and the vocals didn't jump out at me. I know the tracks for this song have lot of plosives and sibilance, so you managed those well.
I'm sorry in advance if this sounds harsh, in my honest opinion the mix is a mess.

The drums are loud but are dull and don't have the punch needed for this style. The snare is dull and is all ring, it really needs to be replaced with something or at least blended with a sample so that it punches through. The kick sound is also pretty inconsistent and pokes out in an odd way at random points, it sounds like a basketball bouncing on concrete. Maybe it's the sample you'e used or ust how it's interacting with the rest of the kit but it's strange sounding. The cymbals are super harsh sounding around the 2-4 kHz range and need some high passing done to keep them from muddying up the rest of your kit. Also the tamborine is super hot in the mix, it's actually louder than the lead vocal.

The guitars and bass are fighting each other in the low end, the tones might sound fine on their own but in the mix they're clouding up the low end of your mix. I found that cutting between 750 and 800 Hz on the guitars and using a multiband compressor to press down on 281 Hz helped to clear some space down there for the bass. A trick I picked up from Dirk (who picked it up from Nolly Getgood of Periphery) is to boost 750 Hz on the bass, it fills in the hole you would normally scoop on guitars and connects the two together in the mix. Using a driven bass tone also helps with this.

Really from what I could hear the vocals seemed to be ok, some muddiness in the lead and the backups are a touch loud, but they're serviceable. Really I would dump this mix and start from square one, take your drums and find the samples that sound the closest to how you would want a Pop Punk record to sound, that way you have a solid foundation to build on. Once you have a solid drum sound without processing bring in the bass, get it to sit with drums using the fader, the guitar will need eq to work because the source tone has alot of midrange cloudiness going on. After you get that sorted out try messing with some eq and compression to help get things locked in and do some automation if necessary and the vocals should sit in with minimal tweaking.

Again sorry if this seems harsh, this is a tricky mix to make work but you can do it (insert cheesy 70's/80's sports movie motivation speech Big Grin). Really if you take the time in the beginning to clean up and do some prep work with the tracks you can really make it sound great.

Cheers,
Doug
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
(21-04-2017, 03:11 AM)dcp10200 Wrote: I'm sorry in advance if this sounds harsh, in my honest opinion the mix is a mess.

Cheers,
Doug

Not harsh, warranted.

Dude, you're spot on. This mix sucks. I have recently tuned my room and I can easily hear all of the problems with this pile of garbage.

I would have to start from scratch with this one and I can't say that I will though, because I'd rather do other things. Thanks for the listen Doug.

I do live sound for a living and rooms make all the difference when mixing. When I mixed this I thought it sounded good, Hahaha.

I will do better next time coach, don't give up on me just yet.

Best,

Wesley
My Original Music

Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
(23-04-2017, 03:59 PM)wesleyamltd Wrote:
(21-04-2017, 03:11 AM)dcp10200 Wrote: I'm sorry in advance if this sounds harsh, in my honest opinion the mix is a mess.

Cheers,
Doug

Not harsh, warranted.

Dude, you're spot on. This mix sucks. I have recently tuned my room and I can easily hear all of the problems with this pile of garbage.

I would have to start from scratch with this one and I can't say that I will though, because I'd rather do other things. Thanks for the listen Doug.

I do live sound for a living and rooms make all the difference when mixing. When I mixed this I thought it sounded good, Hahaha.

I will do better next time coach, don't give up on me just yet.

Best,

Wesley

Would love to hear you second mix Smile I've heard your other mixes and know that you can do this one better Smile Smile, we are hear to learn right Big Grin?

Would love to hear you second mix Smile I've heard your other mixes and know that you can do this one better Smile Smile, we are hear to learn right Big Grin?

[/quote]

Right you are. I may re-mix next week. I'll give it a shot.
My Original Music

Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
(27-07-2017, 03:01 PM)wesleyamltd Wrote: Would love to hear you second mix Smile I've heard your other mixes and know that you can do this one better Smile Smile, we are hear to learn right Big Grin?

Right you are. I may re-mix next week. I'll give it a shot.
[/quote]

Cool Smile Well i tried a second mix and posted it, it went so so, hard to keep this track clear yet powerfull :O...