Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gin is Gone - per Stefano, il migliore di tutti
It is such an honor to have tracks recorded by Signiore Amerio to work with!

I hardly touched the original tracks, just a little fader balance. I used two of the reverbs Stefano uses, only in VST form: LX 480 and VSR S24, an emulation of the TC 6000. Then sent through Izotope Ozone7 for a little sheen.

Stefano's tracks are so perfect, it hardly needs anything in the mix, in my opinion.

New mix: added EQ to drum buss for sparkle, punched the bass with Noble Q using the Pultec trick, rebalanced the horn section, put a touch of Vertigo SC2 on mixbuss for glue.

I also gave the trumpet and sax a bit of the new Kush Omega 458A transformer plugin for grit on those instruments, as I felt they were a little subdued.

Edit: Listening to some other guys' mixes, gave it one more try.

.mp3    Stefano1.1.mp3 --  (Download: 5.25 MB)

It feels ok but to my ears a little thin. I think you've treated the natural sound of the tracks well but it could use a little more low end and body. It's also a little loud on the sax side. The balance of the horn section could be tweaked bit.

I get the idea of not wanting to do to much to the original tracks. But view yourself as qualified as any one else in the chain. It's ok to get your hands in and make some decisions. As the mixer you're as important at the musicians and recording engineer. I'm just speaking in general.

That said it sounds great (knowing when to keep the hands out is just as important). The quality of the instruments sound great. It has a certain 'realism' that I haven't heard in these tracks before. Clear but not harsh at all. My only issues are the horn balance and it could use just something in the lower octaves. Bass and left hand of the piano.

Good work.
Wow! Thanks so much for your feedback. Just this morning I listened on headphones and everything you said made perfect sense. Guess I need to monitor on several different sources from now on!
I would agree with Roy, the mix is a little thin sounding and maybe with a little too much shimmer on the drums. It tends to bring the drums to the forefront in stead of behind the brass. I think the solo sections could come up a bit also, just to take centre stage as they appear. Otherwise it sound really good. I would love to hear the mix with the tonal adjustments as mentioned. With some extra weight, I think it would shine.

Well Done.

Dave