Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Ronnie Jones - Why Don't You Stay "JKL MIX"
Great Recording, i had a blast mixing this one, waiting for your feedbacks

Thx

.m4a    Ronnie Jones - Why Don\'t You Stay _JKL MIX_.m4a --  (Download: 12.53 MB)

.m4a    Ronnie Jones - Why Don\'t You Stay _JKL MIX_ V2.m4a --  (Download: 12.54 MB)

It sounds really good. A few things jump out at me.
-The kick feels a little too loud. It's a good sounding kick but it just dominates the mix too much. It masks the vocal. The bass may have to come bas as well if the kick is lowered.
-There's a little "crunchiness" distortion that I hear occasionally. I think that if that's unintentional then bringing back the kick might help that. Or it might just be the kick sound.
-It could use a little more reverb/atmosphere. Especially on the Rhodes. It's a bit too stark and "naked". Same for the Tamborine. It feels separated from the mix. The vocal feels dry but it doesn't bother me as much as the rhodes and tamb.

Overall it's pretty good. The snare sounds nice. Besides the kick level everything feels ok as far as I can tell but the kick may be masking other balance issues. It's not far off.
Thx for your feedback, i made a 2nd version based on your comments, def sounding more balanced

(18-02-2017, 02:19 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: It sounds really good. A few things jump out at me.
-The kick feels a little too loud. It's a good sounding kick but it just dominates the mix too much. It masks the vocal. The bass may have to come bas as well if the kick is lowered.
-There's a little "crunchiness" distortion that I hear occasionally. I think that if that's unintentional then bringing back the kick might help that. Or it might just be the kick sound.
-It could use a little more reverb/atmosphere. Especially on the Rhodes. It's a bit too stark and "naked". Same for the Tamborine. It feels separated from the mix. The vocal feels dry but it doesn't bother me as much as the rhodes and tamb.

Overall it's pretty good. The snare sounds nice. Besides the kick level everything feels ok as far as I can tell but the kick may be masking other balance issues. It's not far off.

Version 2 sounds great. Personally, I think the vocal could come back slightly. Not much. The bass could be a little "fatter" and maybe a little less of the mids. It feels mostly in the range of the guitar and vocal. I could just use a little more low end to anchor the song. Again not too much of an adjustment. I'd try bringing the vocal back a couple of dB and then see how the bass feels.

That's all I noticed and they're minor suggestions. Good job.
(18-02-2017, 06:19 AM)Eduardo Aguilera Wrote: Great Recording, i had a blast mixing this one, waiting for your feedbacks

Thx

--------

Yo! The second mix is great! I think it sounds perfectly balanced and smooth (listening in cans right now). The only thing you need to do is do some vocal pitch shifting mainly in the bridge section (vocals are off pitch). Great job......nice!

Tom

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek