Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One of my newer mixes
I mixed this song on old computer. I hope it sounds good. Only things I think are too loud are hammond in verses and main vocal.

.mp3    untitled7877.mp3 --  (Download: 9.82 MB)

There's a couple of things that jump out at me.
-The "lead" guitar feels a little weak and quiet. Especially in the intro. Personally, quiet instruments bother me more than loud ones. It should be in focus more. It has a cool sound but it should be out in front of the song.
-The Hammond is loud. I'd suggest using the processed hammond track. It has a little more character. To my ear, the Raw track is too plain.
-The vocal feels ok. It might be loud but it doesn't bother me.
The bass might be a little loud but the tone of it is nice so I think it's ok.
-The overheads can come up. I think they would help brighten up the mix.

Overall the mix feels ok but could be better. It feels tentative and hesitant. The main balances seem ok. The framework of the mix works. You have a decent foundation to build off of.

Hope that all makes sense and helps
Cheers
Thx for the kind words. Now to do the improvements.
Version 2 and 3

.mp3    wdys.mp3 --  (Download: 7.55 MB)

.mp3    v3.mp3 --  (Download: 7.53 MB)

Re: Version 2.
I have to admit the melody guitar sounds a little weird. It also drops out a little randomly. I don't know it that was intentional. The effect on it is a little to different than the tone of the rest of the mix. I think now that it's at a louder level the effect doesn't work as well. Maybe try bring the effect back while keeping the guitar up. Or changing some of the blend so more of the natural guitar comes through. The effect might work better with some of the real guitar to connect it with the rest of the band.

I like guitar solo tone. It's aggressive but the song can use a little aggressiveness. Some of the notes are a little chopped short. Some reverb or delay could help them decay a more naturally.

The organ still feels too loud. It gets in the way of the vocal. I don't remember if there's a track with a stereo organ but that might work better because the sound would be spread around the vocal instead of up the middle right on top of it.

The bass definitely feels loud in this version. That might be making the rest of the track feel a little weak.
So I have vocals done right, a little less bass and different fx on main gtr.
Re:V3
The bass coming back really helps. It works well now with the rest of the band. Same goes for the organ.
I have to admit that that main guitar sounds weird to me. The chopped off notes is too abrupt.
Notes are not chopped, I used more of a raw track.