Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
"The Well" a la jeff
Hmu with questions/ comments/ concerns. Thx in advance!

.mp3    The Well_320.mp3 --  (Download: 10.63 MB)

Lots of pumping going on and some of the cymbals just kind of wash over the whole mix. Also noticing the guitars and snare have an odd attack to them. Really hear it on the guitars in the section around 1:48.
(12-02-2017, 08:43 AM)Friggy Wrote: some of the cymbals just kind of wash over the whole mix

Thanks for the comments. Did you use any processing on the overheads on your mix?
(18-02-2017, 08:28 PM)jeffssoloband Wrote:
(12-02-2017, 08:43 AM)Friggy Wrote: some of the cymbals just kind of wash over the whole mix

Thanks for the comments. Did you use any processing on the overheads on your mix?

Sorry for not getting back here sooner. Wasn't getting any notifications from this site for some reason.

Anyways, for the overheads I remember just using a multiband compressor for tone shaping. I really use them more like broad-stroke eqs instead of thinking about the compression part of them. Then I used a regular eq for notching areas.

The overheads are sent to a drum bus, along with the rest of the drums, where about 1-3db of compression is happening.
(27-02-2017, 04:57 AM)Friggy Wrote: for the overheads I remember just using a multiband compressor for tone shaping

Thanks for the follow up. I never thought to use a multiband compressor on overheads, but I guess it makes sense since there's so much going on. I'm definitely going to give it a try.

(18-02-2017, 08:28 PM)jeffssoloband Wrote: The overheads are sent to a drum bus, along with the rest of the drums, where about 1-3db of compression is happening.

Sounds like your release time is a bit slow. That's where the pumping is coming from. I usually reach for 20/20 or 30/10 on my drum bus with 3-5 dB reduction. Not saying that's the right way and you need to do it, but give it a shot and see if works for you. Smile