Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swinging Steaks: "Lost My Way"
New mix and new challenges.

I hope nobody tells me that 'I lost my way' about mixing Wink

And if I did... have no mercy and tell me!!!

.mp3    Swinging Steaks - Lost My Way.mp3 --  (Download: 4.03 MB)

In the intro the e guitar sounds thin like a little bee you want to swat for annoying you.
The acoustic is very loud a pretty messy sounding.
The piano is too loud and the vocal fx are all over the place,way too much on the backing vox.
The whole mix is a bit all over the place to be honest and i think you can do much better.
You did say have no mery but i never do anyway.
Ok, I've made some changes; and I think it sounds a little bit better but I still cannot say that I'm satisfied at all about it.

I've found out that I have a problem with electric guitars. Everytime there's one in a song, I tend to mess it all up; and that's something I must learn how to control.

... and I asked not to have mercy because this is the best way to learn. It might be hard to accept criticism, but you also learn faster by knowing what your flaws are!

And these are my final words: keep shooting!!! Big Grin

.mp3    Swinging Steaks - Lost My Way.mp3 --  (Download: 4.02 MB)

Single anything can be tricky if whatever is on the other side dont suit for balance.
You can copy the track and pan, for me thats better than an off balace mix.
That e guitar is still very lost like your trying to hide it,the hammond is very low
and that is a lot of your impact for the chorus.
The piano is lacking now,you seem to be having a bit of a struggle with one
The snare s also way too loud in places.
I think have a rest from it for a day or two and go back with fresh ears
because you will just get frusrated and loose interest in it in the end .

I agree with takka on he's criticism.One method might help you with balance:
Try to send all your drums and bass on a bus, all instrument tracks on another bus and all vocals on another.
After you are ok with every group individually you can try to mix them together.
Hope it helps you.
Thank you guys! I've decided that tonight or tomorrow I will give it another try and remix everything all over. You have no idea how stubborn I am hehehehe!!!
Scared to death about this mix. It's like posting here for the first time and you have no idea what people will think of your 'creation'.

But listening to the previous (and desastrous) attempts and this one, I think this one sounds better.

...but it's all up to you, guys!!

.mp3    Swinging Steaks - Lost My Way 3.mp3 --  (Download: 4.02 MB)

The hats are very loud,for me its that acoustic it stands out too much,try panning it to get a better balance
i feel the drums are take all the attention.Maybe some eq changes on instruments would make the job.
I agree with takka for overheads too.I would leave the mix for a while and come back with fresh ears after another mix..I know very well the frustration you may have right now bat believe me its better to leave that alone for a while.
Keep up juanjose!
Yes. You're right. It's no use to keep trying for the time being. But as good old Arnold used to say... I'll be back!