Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Well with Reamped Guitars
Reamped the di guitars and bass obviously not final mix just mainly focused on the guitars and bass drums vocals will come later

.mp3    DI Guitars Redone.mp3 --  (Download: 4.52 MB)

Guitars and bass sound much better, way tighter and clearer sounding. Now you just need to take the same sort of approach with the drums and vocals. In the final mix ust push the bass down abit, it's poking out abit too much. Aside from this only being guitar and bass focused, this sounds miles better than the tweaked to death version. Now you need to make a mix and not just a demo.
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
(04-02-2017, 02:26 PM)dcp10200 Wrote: Guitars and bass sound much better, way tighter and clearer sounding. Now you just need to take the same sort of approach with the drums and vocals. In the final mix ust push the bass down abit, it's poking out abit too much. Aside from this only being guitar and bass focused, this sounds miles better than the tweaked to death version. Now you need to make a mix and not just a demo.

Ya I also think the guitars are a little too crunchy but they do fit the bass tone and the snare is a struggle to get sounding right also the singer didn't really project his voice that well and its hard to make it sound good without a lot of oversampling
(04-02-2017, 03:08 PM)andrew0v Wrote:
(04-02-2017, 02:26 PM)dcp10200 Wrote: Guitars and bass sound much better, way tighter and clearer sounding. Now you just need to take the same sort of approach with the drums and vocals. In the final mix ust push the bass down abit, it's poking out abit too much. Aside from this only being guitar and bass focused, this sounds miles better than the tweaked to death version. Now you need to make a mix and not just a demo.

Ya I also think the guitars are a little too crunchy but they do fit the bass tone and the snare is a struggle to get sounding right also the singer didn't really project his voice that well and its hard to make it sound good without a lot of oversampling

Basically it's a lot of work to get this sounding good
(04-02-2017, 03:08 PM)andrew0v Wrote: Basically it's a lot of work to get this sounding good

It's a tricky mix, you'e got a good bass and guitar starting point, who cares if you need to re sample the drums to get them to work, at the end of the day you need to put in work to get this as awesome sounding as possible. I ust compressed the living day lights out of the vocals, used some high passing at 200 Hz and a couple of parametric cuts to clean up the crap. From there I ran em through some tape saturation and a bit of reverb.

This is very good practice here for a more real world situation, most indie metalcore/djent bands don't have a huge budget obviously and a lot of the time their raw tracks have the same problem that this track has. This is where the problem solving happens, the drums sound like crap no matter what you do with em, use some samples, the guitar tone isn't tight enough or doesn't work with the track, use the DIs through Bias or use a reamp box through your amp of choice. Really it comes down to finding the simplest solutions that give the best results, not throwing a bunch of plugins at it to no avail and calling it "Tweaked" or "Natural"

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
The guitars and bass sounds good ,can hear a little too much low frequencies on the guitars in the side channels.
Maybe using a mid side eq just reduce the low end on the guitars in the side somewhere below 100-200 area leaving it in the centre with the bass .
looking forward to hearing the next version Big Grin

Cheers.

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

The guitars sound squishy like they're over compressed but distortion is a form of compression anyway. The guitars are not as harsh as the originals but could still use some TLC. Although they may work really well once mixed appropriately. So kudos for the effort and we'll just have to wait and see how it works in the end.
My Original Music

"One often learns more from ten days of agony than ten years of contentment."

Pro Tools 12.6/Studio One 3 Pro
Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
(06-02-2017, 01:16 PM)wesleyamltd Wrote: The guitars sound squishy like they're over compressed but distortion is a form of compression anyway. The guitars are not as harsh as the originals but could still use some TLC. Although they may work really well once mixed appropriately. So kudos for the effort and we'll just have to wait and see how it works in the end.

Yup i accidentally had a limiter on the master bus thanks for the feedback!