Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Don't You Stay - Olli H
Here's another sterile pop mix by me.

With vox I had in my mind Bob Dylan's "Nashville Skyline" LP, where his voice is weird, thick and nasal. I love that sound. Everything else I just build around it one by one.

I'm not sure if my shortened intro works at all, but it just came into my mind...

EDIT: latest version in post #8

.mp3    why-dont-you-stay-2017-02-02-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 10.51 MB)

Hi Olli h fantastic mix nice and relaxing,just a little on the light side but just a taste thing well done.
I like the intro. It catches the ear. I do agree with your own words, it's a little sterile. Especially after the intro effect. My ear wanted more of that feel.

The snare and cymbals might be a bit loud and masking the vocal. I had the same issue on my mix so maybe I'm sensitive to that.

It's a good sounding mix but it's more that the parts sound good but overall doesn't fully gel. Everything on the plate is cooked very well. But it doesn't feel like a meal. If that makes sense.

I think you can take it to the next level. That's because it's already pretty good.
I like it very much, Olli! I agree with Roy, I would have liked to hear more of that intro effect. But the rest is really good. Nothing to point out for a change
mixing since April 2013
Perhaps take down drum transients from around 6k with eq or de-esser? Solid work as always. ^_^
OliH sounds great, I wouldn't change a thing, sounds excellent. Drop it in the radio and It will be at par with other releases. Its really a matter of personal taste at this point.
It's just my humble opinion Smile
I think the drum is very high in relation to the mix, and it is not well in the same frame.
excellent job
Thanks for all comments. I agree with them. I made a quick new version and this time I checked it through my Genelecs (first version was headphones mix)
- drums down 2 db
- dynamic eq to control some of the top end peaks above 5 k
- vox down 1 db and vox reverbs down a bit

But the main mix idea is the same, just a mix, where I tried to find the sound inherent in those instruments.

.mp3    why-dont-you-stay-2017-02-03-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 10.51 MB)

(03-02-2017, 06:14 PM)Olli H Wrote: Thanks for all comments. ...

Later version sounds very good from Genelecs here too. ^_^
Hi Olli,
I like your version !
Sounds good listening on auratones , The organ could be just a touch above the vocals in the verse maybe just around 200-400.
Nice work !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts