Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Knockout Mix - First ever mix
Tell what to improve on since this is my first mix ever
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: I have my the beat overall louder and lowered the vocal a bit and for the whole song as one, I turned up like .5 db

.mp3    Knockout Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 10.07 MB)

.mp3    Knockout Mix 3.mp3 --  (Download: 10.07 MB)

For a first mix it's not bad. The biggest thing that jumps out at me is that the vocals are a little loud, in general. Which isn't a bad thing. It's better that vocals too loud than too quiet. They are the most important part of the song. Usually.

The problem with them being loud though is that it takes away from the energy of the music. If the vocals are back in the mix the whole thing can come up, be louder and more exiting and powerful. The trick is bringing the vocals back enough while still keeping the focus on them and clear and understandable. Make sure each verse matches in level. The 2nd verse is louder than the first in this mix.

I suppose I could go deeper into specific instruments and parts and effects but I listened with a causal ear and nothing jumped out at me as being off, besides the vocals. So I would concentrate on getting them at a good level first. The low end is probably light compared to other hip hop tracks but it doesn't feel bad just not what the genre calls for. If that makes sense.

That's it. One good thing is, for a first mix, you didn't push it too far. It can be tempting to really over do effects and over work the mix too much. It's a good start.

Hope that helps.