Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
My Mix - Actions: One Minute Smile
Spent an hour messing with this. No automation, no editing. Just a general balance and feel. I went for a forward rock with a strong upfront vocal. The vocal has a mono reverb and a buried delay. No other reverb/delay was used. However, lots of EQ and compression. I went quite heavy handed to bring out the clarity and punch. I would have preferred the distorted guitars to have been a little cleaner, but this is what we get. Hope you like it. Cheers!

Glenn

.mp3    Actions - One Minute Smile.mp3 --  (Download: 6.28 MB)

Welcome to the Discussion Zone!

Only listening on my little speakers at the moment, but I love what you've done here in general. Your processing has captured the punky attitude, but with excellent vocal clarity. In general, in fact, I think the vocal mixing here is great -- it's really upfront and controlled, so it's got that pop vox-heavy balance, but the illusion of band 'size' remains pretty good too. Good work!
Those vocals sound awesome! Really love the clarity on them, I would probably brighten them up a touch or make the backups more airy sounding but they really are great. For an hour mix you really ended up with a good mechanical balance of the elements, from here it comes down to refining your mix.

First thing I would do is work on a sense of size for your drums, right now the drums are pretty small sounding, this is a big pop punk record though and having that small, tight drum sound holds back the energy of the mix slightly. I would suggest using some samples to reinforce the sounds you have already just to get that last 5% of the sound. look for a sample of the toms and snare with a fair bit of room ambiance to blend in to ie the drums a bit of space and width especially for the choruses. I noticed that your overheads are mono, like you've left a mono plugin on them, it really robs you of the width of the cymbals during the choruses and has a claustrophobic feel to it that isn't quite gelling to the rest of the mix

Really that's my only critique with your mix, the guitars and bass sound great as is and same goes for the vocals, great work Big Grin!

Cheers, and hope this helps
Doug
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Thank you for the feedback. I hope to sit down with this track and spend more time on it. Cheers!