Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Maurizio Pagnutti Sextet: 'Bess'
A similar take to my version of "All The Gin Is Gone" I have gone with the same late 50's stereo sound scape as previous.
I found taming some of the close mic harshness difficult without room mics available to blend into. I also opted for fast compressor settings for the bass, seemed to help keep the piece moving along on it's toes.
Anyway, it's always fun having to create an elusion of the performing space that was never captured during the recording process. Reverbs and more reverbs.

Thanks for Listening

Dave.

Update Mix #2.

Some extra automation and balancing of the horns and piano. Cleaned up the low end of the piano a little and added a slow compressor to it, just tickling the meter for some gentle levelling.

.mp3    MaurizioPagnuttiSextet_Bess_Dangerous#1.mp3 --  (Download: 13.47 MB)

.mp3    MaurizioPagnuttiSextet_Bess_Dangerous#2.mp3 --  (Download: 13.47 MB)

Sounds good to me. I think the 50's vibe works well for this one.
The bass sounds great. Very 'woody'. I think the piano might be a little muddy. The high end on it is ok but the body of the piano gets lost in the drums and reverb. The Trumpet might want to come up a hair. The Clarinet solo might be a little hot. At least compared to the other Trombone solo.

I like the fade. I knew this one should fade but I couldn't resist leaving in some of the Italian at the end of the tune.

Great job, as usual.

(29-01-2017, 02:25 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Sounds good to me. I think the 50's vibe works well for this one.
The bass sounds great. Very 'woody'. I think the piano might be a little muddy. The high end on it is ok but the body of the piano gets lost in the drums and reverb. The Trumpet might want to come up a hair. The Clarinet solo might be a little hot. At least compared to the other Trombone solo.

I like the fade. I knew this one should fade but I couldn't resist leaving in some of the Italian at the end of the tune.

Great job, as usual.

Thanks Roy,
A helpful and clear critique. I find I agree with your findings.
I have made some adjustments based on this so hopefully it's more balanced.
Funny enough, I almost left the Italian in also. A lovely reminder of the people behind the musicSmile

Dave.
big sound! the compresion on the drums and or on the master maybe a little heavy, you can hear it ducking sometimes (fe. 1'55") when the kick hits. you are quite loud, so i think there might be room to back down a little in general? great vibe though!
Listened version 2. Perhaps the ride cymbal is a bit forward? Very pleasing sound, and the fade out feels like a right call. Great work!
(01-02-2017, 03:57 PM)loupi Wrote: big sound! the compresion on the drums and or on the master maybe a little heavy, you can hear it ducking sometimes (fe. 1'55") when the kick hits. you are quite loud, so i think there might be room to back down a little in general? great vibe though!

Thanks loupi, Interesting observation and I can hear what you are talking about. There shouldn't be any comp going on at all. I do have a compressor on the last insert on my master that I use for metering only (for checking kick/bass balance) maybe I've left it energized. I will have to check that one out.