Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Ronnie Jones: 'Why Don't You Stay'
Actually the SSL is extremely clean relatively. Mike has too much distortion and it is good for bass or organ and the neve is right in the middle. I much prefer the neve than both of them It has more depth.
Stop collecting plugins and hardware. First understand the tool you got and then look for extension when you reach your limit.
(09-02-2017, 06:05 PM)Bereket Wrote: Actually the SSL is extremely clean relatively. Mike has too much distortion and it is good for bass or organ and the neve is right in the middle. I much prefer the neve than both of them It has more depth.

Mike sounds way cleaner on the master buss from my experience with the plugin, Spike at 5 on the drive sounds like Mike on full drive to me. Take the overheads from the multis and focus on the cymbals, as soon as you hit 5 on the drive control the cymbals sound like white noise. Not a clean sound at all
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Are we taking the same gear? the EMI is full of distortion if I remember correctly. I have never used that tool ever since I mix in Harrison Mixbus. Plus Why would I add a distortion on overhead rather tape? I add tape to smooth them up not distortion IMHO.
Stop collecting plugins and hardware. First understand the tool you got and then look for extension when you reach your limit.
(09-02-2017, 07:02 PM)Bereket Wrote: Are we taking the same gear? the EMI is full of distortion if I remember correctly. I have never used that tool ever since I mix in Harrison Mixbus. Plus Why would I add a distortion on overhead rather tape? I add tape to smooth them up not distortion IMHO.

Yes, the EMI stuff is quite dirty! I'm talking about the plugin Waves NLS, something that I use regularly in my mixes, in the plugin the SSL or "Spike" master buss emulation (the plugin is divided over 2 plugins, NLS Buss for putting on the master buss of your DAW and NLS Channel, for the induvidual multi tracks. this is how you it basically simulates the workflow of summing stems on a console, channels simulate the distortions of the board of your choice and are routed to the Buss plugin in groups. For the SSL master buss you pick the Spike master buss, for the EMI TG you pick the Mike Master buss.) is technically clean BUT when you use the plugin on the master bus on that setting with a mild amount of drive it adds a harsh sounding distortion to the high end. The reason I asked you to put the buss plugin on the overheads was to demonstrate the distortion I was talking about (I will include in this post 2 clips of my demonstration with both versions of a basic drum mix from the track, one with the SSL and the other with the EMI TG with the drive on 6 for both). The Spike SSL Channel plugins are miles cleaner yes, but the Buss version isn't very clean.

Hope this clears it up

.mp3    Drums NLS SSL Emulation.mp3 --  (Download: 2.04 MB)

.mp3    Drums NLS EMI TG Emulation.mp3 --  (Download: 2.02 MB)

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
I know what you mean now I can hear that. But to be honest with you I still prefer the SSL. Let me explain why, It looks like it glues the overall mix much better than the EMI. It is like controlling even the peaks if you know what I mean. Which means you will have a much more room to make your mix even louder. where as on the EMI the possibility of overloading the 2 bus is very fast. The SSL will let you push it harder since it is controlling the peaks also. Thanks for taking time to bring those examples. Very sorry for hijacking your thread thedon.
(09-02-2017, 08:18 PM)Bereket Wrote: I know what you mean now I can hear that. But to be honest with you I still prefer the SSL. Let me explain why, It looks like it glues the overall mix much better than the EMI. It is like controlling even the peaks if you know what I mean. Which means you will have a much more room to make your mix even louder. where as on the EMI the possibility of overloading the 2 bus is very fast. The SSL will let you push it harder since it is controlling the peaks also. Thanks for taking time to bring those examples. Very sorry for hijacking your thread thedon.

I guess, The EMI can be driven way harder and glue the mix in the way that the SSL does. Mixing isn't about making things loud or pushing the living crap out of them, the SSL only has one "advantage" in that you can push loudness at the cost of making your mix harsh sounding and fatiguing, on a track like this you need the top end to sound like silk, not sand on glass, if you want to push it loud use the EMI or Neve with the drive on 10 and a tape emulation, more glue than the SSL could ever dream of having without harshness added. Sorry for also hijacking the the thread Don.

(09-02-2017, 05:52 PM)dcp10200 Wrote:
(09-02-2017, 08:05 AM)thedon Wrote: Hi Doug,
I will sort out that resonance on the acoustic guitars.
With the cymbals I can't believe it you are 100 % correct ,I had a look and bingo the spike SSL emulation is the one I used.

Thanks for the feedback and tips Big Grin

Hahaha, I used to use the same master buss mode in NLS but always ended up scraping it in the end for that same reason Big Grin. According to Waves YouTube Promo video that SSL they modeled is dirtier than most which is weird, the Mike Console (what I used on my mix ) is actually modeled on the Dark Side of The Moon EMI TG console. The Nevo is also really awesome, especially for modern rock and metal, funny enough the Spike channels sound great when paired with the Mike or Nevo Buss plugin. Regardless, NLS is awesome, can't wait for the revised version of your mix.

Cheers,
Doug
I didn't stick to any particular console It's a mixture of all just randomly switched between them and picked one which I thought sounded ok.

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(09-02-2017, 06:05 PM)Bereket Wrote: Actually the SSL is extremely clean relatively. Mike has too much distortion and it is good for bass or organ and the neve is right in the middle. I much prefer the neve than both of them It has more depth.
I might have a play around with the next version 3 times using different console simulations and see how they sound.

Cheers Big Grin

(09-02-2017, 06:32 PM)dcp10200 Wrote:

Mike sounds way cleaner on the master buss from my experience with the plugin, Spike at 5 on the drive sounds like Mike on full drive to me. Take the overheads from the multis and focus on the cymbals, as soon as you hit 5 on the drive control the cymbals sound like white noise. Not a clean sound at all
I'm wondering If the input level would also make a difference to how the NLS sounds one think I'm going to play around with !

(09-02-2017, 07:02 PM)Bereket Wrote: Are we taking the same gear? the EMI is full of distortion if I remember correctly. I have never used that tool ever since I mix in Harrison Mixbus. Plus Why would I add a distortion on overhead rather tape? I add tape to smooth them up not distortion IMHO.
Would love to hear a Harrison mixbus version ,can I use third party pluginns like waves ,been thinking of giving it a try Big Grin