Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Ronnie Jones: 'Why Don't You Stay'
(31-01-2017, 04:46 AM)Txory Wrote: Very nice mix
Thanks Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Hi don once again you have a very nice mix (v2) well done.
(02-02-2017, 08:35 AM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi don once again you have a very nice mix (v2) well done.
Thanks for having a listen Cudjoe !
Give it a try ,I'm looking forward to hearing your version !
Cheers Big Grin

While I appreciate your mix the fact your bass domination and some instruments disappearing from the mix makes me wonder if it is your approach to make it sound like that. I wonder what will happen if you lower your bass and balance your mix.
Stop collecting plugins and hardware. First understand the tool you got and then look for extension when you reach your limit.
(07-02-2017, 06:42 PM)Bereket Wrote: While I appreciate your mix the fact your bass domination and some instruments disappearing from the mix makes me wonder if it is your approach to make it sound like that. I wonder what will happen if you lower your bass and balance your mix.
Hi Bereket,
I agree ,the next version will hopefully sound more balanced , open and cleaner especially the bass !

Thanks for having a listen Big Grin

Don't get me wrong thedon. I really loved your mix just a minor touch would have make it top class. I would kill anyone to make the kick drum sound like yours. It is just gorgeous my question is all about balancing. There are tracks which doesn't even make sense like guitar 10. doesn't even contribute so it is better not to use that and you know make shine other elements.
Stop collecting plugins and hardware. First understand the tool you got and then look for extension when you reach your limit.
Overall I like the up front sound of your mix Don, the bass and kick are really working with each other and give your mix a solid backbone! The one complaint is that there's a resonance in the acoustics at 889 Hz that's poking out through out the mix. NLS is an awesome tool, I use the master section a lot on my mixes as well. I did notice that the cymbal do have a ratty sounding distortion on them, it's really noticeable on the choruses and the louder sections of your mix and common with the Spike (SSL 4K emulation) master section. I would try out the Mike (EMI TG emulation) master section, you can drive it really hard without having it make the cymbals sound papery and harsh, it really smooths things out and adds some air to the top end (combine that with Kramer Tape or Slate Virtual Tape Machines for a more vintage sound).

Cheers, and hope this helps
Doug
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
(08-02-2017, 12:23 PM)Bereket Wrote: Don't get me wrong thedon. I really loved your mix just a minor touch would have make it top class. I would kill anyone to make the kick drum sound like yours. It is just gorgeous my question is all about balancing. There are tracks which doesn't even make sense like guitar 10. doesn't even contribute so it is better not to use that and you know make shine other elements.

Hi Bereket ,
All Good ,The kick is a sample I borrowed from another kick sample track from another awesome song in this multitrack library Cool
using the mute button here and there is a power full tool which is one thing I should do more often to make a song more interesting.

(09-02-2017, 01:33 AM)dcp10200 Wrote: Overall I like the up front sound of your mix Don, the bass and kick are really working with each other and give your mix a solid backbone! The one complaint is that there's a resonance in the acoustics at 889 Hz that's poking out through out the mix. NLS is an awesome tool, I use the master section a lot on my mixes as well. I did notice that the cymbal do have a ratty sounding distortion on them, it's really noticeable on the choruses and the louder sections of your mix and common with the Spike (SSL 4K emulation) master section. I would try out the Mike (EMI TG emulation) master section, you can drive it really hard without having it make the cymbals sound papery and harsh, it really smooths things out and adds some air to the top end (combine that with Kramer Tape or Slate Virtual Tape Machines for a more vintage sound).

Cheers, and hope this helps
Doug
Hi Doug,
I will sort out that resonance on the acoustic guitars.
With the cymbals I can't believe it you are 100 % correct ,I had a look and bingo the spike SSL emulation is the one I used.

Thanks for the feedback and tips Big Grin

(09-02-2017, 08:05 AM)thedon Wrote: Hi Doug,
I will sort out that resonance on the acoustic guitars.
With the cymbals I can't believe it you are 100 % correct ,I had a look and bingo the spike SSL emulation is the one I used.

Thanks for the feedback and tips Big Grin

Hahaha, I used to use the same master buss mode in NLS but always ended up scraping it in the end for that same reason Big Grin. According to Waves YouTube Promo video that SSL they modeled is dirtier than most which is weird, the Mike Console (what I used on my mix ) is actually modeled on the Dark Side of The Moon EMI TG console. The Nevo is also really awesome, especially for modern rock and metal, funny enough the Spike channels sound great when paired with the Mike or Nevo Buss plugin. Regardless, NLS is awesome, can't wait for the revised version of your mix.

Cheers,
Doug

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6