Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Ronnie Jones: 'Why Don't You Stay'
Here is version 1 ,spent about an hour so far testing out waves NLS plugins, needs a lot more work version 2 coming soon !
Thanks Joe and Ronnie for the great song and recording.

Cheers Big Grin

.mp3    Why don\'t you stay -V-1.mp3 --  (Download: 12.53 MB)

.mp3    Why don\'t you stay -V-2.mp3 --  (Download: 12.63 MB)

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Sounds good. I really like the kick and bass combo. They have a nice fatness.
I don't hear anything wrong or that needs much more work. Everything is balanced well. I think it could use a little more "movement" and excitement. It feels like a static mix that sounds good but could be elevated to the next level.
(27-01-2017, 12:41 PM)thedon Wrote: Here is version 1 ,spent about an hour so far testing out waves NLS plugins, needs a lot more work version 2 coming soon !

Cheers Big Grin

I do believe that console saturation-summing (like NLS) is one of the most important things in making music. I loved the mellow sound of your electric guitars and I think that generally is as always a nice well balanced mix. Well done!
My only suggestion is that the kick and snare are not very well glued together. I mean I love your powerful kick that is very nicely glued with the bass but your snare seems to lack some body and fullness. Maybe a sample would help or try to make your kick drum less aggressive. But I really really loved this kick dude!
Quicker than a Bondi Tram Don!Smile

The balance is nice sonic-ally. I think I agree with Andreas, in that I also feel snare is lacking a bit of weight in comparison. I tend to like the bass and kick but just wondering if it's squaring the mix up too much. I can't put my finger on it completely but it just feels like it's lost some of it's free form. If that makes any sense. Maybe it's the bass compressor that's a little stiff or maybe the kick is a little too dominant, dunno.
I'm sure you'll work it out.Smile
(27-01-2017, 02:19 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Sounds good. I really like the kick and bass combo. They have a nice fatness.
I don't hear anything wrong or that needs much more work. Everything is balanced well. I think it could use a little more "movement" and excitement. It feels like a static mix that sounds good but could be elevated to the next level.
Thanks for having a listen Roy ,you are right about being static and needing more excitement ,that us one skill I really have to work on especially automation.

Cheers Big Grin

(28-01-2017, 03:03 AM)Andreas Tyranopoulos Wrote:
(27-01-2017, 12:41 PM)thedon Wrote: Here is version 1 ,spent about an hour so far testing out waves NLS plugins, needs a lot more work version 2 coming soon !

Cheers Big Grin

I do believe that console saturation-summing (like NLS) is one of the most important things in making music. I loved the mellow sound of your electric guitars and I think that generally is as always a nice well balanced mix. Well done!
My only suggestion is that the kick and snare are not very well glued together. I mean I love your powerful kick that is very nicely glued with the bass but your snare seems to lack some body and fullness. Maybe a sample would help or try to make your kick drum less aggressive. But I really really loved this kick dude!
I was a little bit sceptical about console simulators but ended up buying it as makes a subtle but big difference to the entire mix.
I remove fast attack compression off the supplied track snare for some more body on version 2 ,but will have a play around with adding some samples !
I'm happy you like the kick which is a sample !
Cheers Big Grin

(28-01-2017, 04:49 AM)Dangerous Wrote: Quicker than a Bondi Tram Don!Smile

The balance is nice sonic-ally. I think I agree with Andreas, in that I also feel snare is lacking a bit of weight in comparison. I tend to like the bass and kick but just wondering if it's squaring the mix up too much. I can't put my finger on it completely but it just feels like it's lost some of it's free form. If that makes any sense. Maybe it's the bass compressor that's a little stiff or maybe the kick is a little too dominant, dunno.
I'm sure you'll work it out.Smile
G,day Dave ,
I had a quick play around with the compression of the snare ,kick and bass.
Uploaded version 2 hopefully a subtle improvement but not there yet .
Cheers Big Grin

(28-01-2017, 02:26 PM)thedon Wrote:

Cheers Big Grin

I was a little bit sceptical about console simulators but ended up buying it as makes a subtle but big difference to the entire mix.
I remove fast attack compression off the supplied track snare for some more body on version 2 ,but will have a play around with adding some samples !
Cheers Big Grin

I think is much better now! I feel it is a little bit more solid than version 1. Maybe the bass guitar is 1-2 db louder than I would expect but anyway I love this huge bass!
Listened version 2. Maybe some boxy resonance in acoustic guitars around 500 and it's lower und upper octaves? I doesn't sound too bad, but the resonance is stronger on some chords, so it kind of comes and goes between chord changes and it feels a little weird. I agree with the previous writers about the fatness between kick, snare and bass. It's just awesome. Although it feels like a static mix, I think you have done good job with the vocals. The sound and performance, for me, is very challenging to make them work, but you've managed to make it sound like a song. ^_^
(28-01-2017, 06:05 PM)Andreas Tyranopoulos Wrote:
(28-01-2017, 02:26 PM)thedon Wrote:

Cheers Big Grin

Cheers Big Grin

I think is much better now! I feel it is a little bit more solid than version 1. Maybe the bass guitar is 1-2 db louder than I would expect but anyway I love this huge bass!
Hi Andreas,
Thanks for having a listen I will sort the balance of the bass in the next version !

Cheers Big Grin