Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My mix of Backroom in Tulsa.
Here is my mix of this song.

.mp3    Mixdown (3).mp3 --  (Download: 8.73 MB)

It seems like you were going for a really clean mix with this one - everything seems bright, upfront, and the separation is nice. I would have probably included the great room sounds and bleed from the original tracks, but I would also go for a dirtier, more organic sound on this one. If you were going for that clean, polished sound, you pulled it off.

There's something funny about the bass tone when it first enters. It sounds like maybe you ran a LP filter on it and left only the low and mid-range frequencies, or boosted the mids. It almost doesn't sound like an acoustic upright bass anymore, but maybe that's what you were looking for. Also, the piano is a little bright for me. I think a more mellow, honky-tonk sound on the piano fits a little better with the song. Maybe I'm being too pickySmile Overall, nice job.
I like your approach!Overall very nice sound end balance.I will like some more body on keys though end a bit more reverb on drums.nice job!
I agree that the stand-up does not sound very organic, while the rest of the mix does sound natural; so, bass sounds a bit out of place in my opinion.

I think that the stereo field sounds a bit narrow. You might try panning some of the instruments a bit wider. Particularly the ones that aren't in the forefront (i.e. pedal steel, room for drums).
In listening to the mix again, agreed the piano does sound a bit thin. That's what I get for going with an SSL preset *grins* I also should have read the about this track thread on here, because like the other track, I was having a bit of trouble getting the bass to sit in the mix. I therefore put a tube compressor on the bass to try to even out the peaks, but with the track having 3 different volume levels as the song progressed, the bass would continually get buried in spots. It's also why you might notice that the vocals level also gets louder as the song progresses, because as the song progresses, the overall levels get louder so I had to push the level of the vocals up along with it to compensate. One of the issues I ran across with doing that was the noise floor in the source recording, so I also had to mute and gate rustling, sniffing and the like that was there to clean it up a bit.
Nice done with automation!In that kind of recordings i would usually don't bother to clean up the leakage,i would try to enhance it!