Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Wall of Death 2017 Mix
Femme was one of the first songs that I uploaded a mix for when I joined the forum and really all the versions I made were pretty bad sounding in retrospect Big Grin. I've always ame up short in one area or another when mixing it weather it be in having too much reverb and sounding like it was recorded in a cave or being too boomy or just weird sounding. With this mix I took a different approach and actually used a reference track to guide me along, and in the end I think this is the closest to what I wanted my mix to sound like. My reference was All Bodies by Between the Buried and Me.

Cheers,
Doug

.mp3    Femme Master 1.mp3 --  (Download: 5.56 MB)

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Sounds great. I really can't find a fault. The only thing that I noticed (and really isn't an issue) is that the guitar on the right feels a little more clear and 'dominant' compared to the left. It doesn't feel bad or wrong but it just the only thing that I noticed. I know it has more of the riffs/lead roll but it still has the focus in the rhythm sections. Other than that everything feels right on.
Good job.
(22-01-2017, 07:03 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Sounds great. I really can't find a fault. The only thing that I noticed (and really isn't an issue) is that the guitar on the right feels a little more clear and 'dominant' compared to the left. It doesn't feel bad or wrong but it just the only thing that I noticed. I know it has more of the riffs/lead roll but it still has the focus in the rhythm sections. Other than that everything feels right on.
Good job.

Thanks Roy! I used 2 different amps on the rhythm guitars, on the left is a 5150 emulation and the right is a Mesa Dual Rectifier, which is why one amp seems abit more present than the other. I tried to make both amps sound as close to each other as possible but still have their own unique sound. I probably should hae dialed back the presence on the recto sim but I do like how it sounds wide and fat.

Cheers,
Doug
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Sounds good. Very beefy. I would turn the vocals up a bit but that's just how I like it. The toms need more presence to cut through the mix imho. Well deserved 5 Stars.
(23-01-2017, 01:20 PM)Blitzzz Wrote: Sounds good. Very beefy. I would turn the vocals up a bit but that's just how I like it. The toms need more presence to cut through the mix imho. Well deserved 5 Stars.

Thanks Blitzzz! I ust made this mix with the vocals up abit, more presence on the toms. some clipping and parallel distortion also helped the toms and snare alittle

For Roy: I also straightened up the guitars so that they're more even sounding in the stereo field

Cheers,
Doug

.mp3    Femme Master 2.mp3 --  (Download: 5.59 MB)

Sounds really great, I think it has a very good low end beef, what did you do with bass ?

Also curious about the snare, did you use both mikes ?

Great job