Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Gin Is Gone

Thought I would have some 1950's stereo fun with this track. Drums to the left, piano to the right, brass across the stage and bass up the middle.
Although these are great recordings, I really missed the ambience tracks that are normally associated with these recordings. I found it quite the task assembling this within a performance space that I thought would be appropriate.

As nice as the brass tracks are, I thought they sounded a little safe and lacked a touch of dynamic flair. So I did a small amount of expanding and a lot of automation around these tracks to add some extra excitement and energy.

The panned drums and piano isn't going to be everyone's "cup of tea" and I must admit, it's a strange listening experience with headphones on. That been said, I'm quite taken to this type of stereo sound scape, listening in front of speakers in the open air. I guess it gives the performance that "old school" feel.

Thanks for listening

Dave

.mp3    MaurizioPagnuttiSextet_AllTheGinIsGone_Dangerous#1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.76 MB)

Ha. You stole my idea! Smile Though you did a better job.
It sounds pretty good. I think it's well balanced even on headphones.
My only issue is the horns feel a tad harsh. Especially in the solos but only occasionally.

Good job.
(21-01-2017, 02:37 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Ha. You stole my idea! Smile Though you did a better job.
It sounds pretty good. I think it's well balanced even on headphones.
My only issue is the horns feel a tad harsh. Especially in the solos but only occasionally.

Good job.

So I did! Blush and here I was thinking I was being original.

I'm not surprised by the harshness. I added some high shelf boost to these tracks, albeit a small amount, just for some extra clarity. I should have been a little more frequency selective in this regard.

Thanks
Hi Dave ,
Your mix has a cool herb Alpert & the Tijuana brass vibe to it .
I'm thinking of having a shot at it too ,here is a blast from the past !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxsOXOPni0o

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Thanks for sharing this Don. I haven't heard this in a long time and I can't say that i've listened to it critically before.

I can certainly hear the similarities and do like the arrangement. It gives great clarity to each of the main elements within the song. There are some later recordings with the drums centred and in this position for me they lose some of that isolated framed focus and detail. The stereo sound scape also becomes a little confined in contrast to the former.

You must have a play with this multi. Because the tracks are dry with no room or ambience sound attached, you have the freedom to make it live and breathe and put the performance in any space you want.Big Grin

Thanks
Hi Dave long time no speak liking your mix, sounds a little distant but works wonderfully a tad harsh in places which you already know,I have to do another mix Smile well done.
I'm amazed you found so much atmosphere in the tracks themselves. My mix now sounds positively muddy by comparison! I personally don't like the "roomy" short early reflections, but they do give a sense of some kind of room, while the originals are quite dry. (I'm a total reverb slut!) It sounds like a record! Good work. Oh, and I like the panning. Having grown up with records like "Kind of Blue".
(27-02-2017, 06:34 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi Dave long time no speak liking your mix, sounds a little distant but works wonderfully a tad harsh in places which you already know,I have to do another mix Smile well done.

Hey bloke, Yes it's been a couple of moons since we have conversed. Thanks for having a listen. It was a fun experimental mix that I like to try every now and then. Interestingly, I've just had a hearing test through work as I'm in heavy industry and found that I have quite a dip in my response centred around 4khz, Left ear worse than the right. Maybe this is contributing to my harshness as it's a common issue across a lot of my mixes.

LOOK AFTER YOUR HEARING!

Cheers
(27-02-2017, 11:56 PM)robert82 Wrote: I'm amazed you found so much atmosphere in the tracks themselves. My mix now sounds positively muddy by comparison! I personally don't like the "roomy" short early reflections, but they do give a sense of some kind of room, while the originals are quite dry. (I'm a total reverb slut!) It sounds like a record! Good work. Oh, and I like the panning. Having grown up with records like "Kind of Blue".

Hi robert82, I guess this is a good set of multi's to practice on using 'verbs. From memory the short roomy reverbs was an attempt at making the drums much bigger than they were, because of the side panning. I have a few reverbs going on here, some mono some stereo and with different tonal filtering. I don't listen to a lot of modern jazz but am quite familiar with the earlier stereo and mono recording up to the 60's. I guess I just wanted to try and replicate this early sound. Because of their dry sound these are a great set of multi's for artistic creative freedom. lots of fun.

Thanks for listening

Dave
(01-03-2017, 10:34 AM)Dangerous Wrote:
(27-02-2017, 06:34 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi Dave long time no speak liking your mix, sounds a little distant but works wonderfully a tad harsh in places which you already know,I have to do another mix Smile well done.

Hey bloke, Yes it's been a couple of moons since we have conversed. Thanks for having a listen. It was a fun experimental mix that I like to try every now and then. Interestingly, I've just had a hearing test through work as I'm in heavy industry and found that I have quite a dip in my response centred around 4khz, Left ear worse than the right. Maybe this is contributing to my harshness as it's a common issue across a lot of my mixes.

LOOK AFTER YOUR HEARING!

Cheers
I wouldn't of guess that from your mixes but yeah I agree with you about taking care of your hearing, it's so easy to damage your earing a specially with all these portable devices we all use in our day to day lives,take care my friend.