Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Apprehended - Still Flyin Mix1
my first try on mixing this song. let me know, what you guys think about it Smile

.mp3    The Apprehended - Still Flyin.mp3 --  (Download: 4.27 MB)

Hi there,

Not a bad effort. Nice intro. You avoided the trap of drowning everything in reverb so it sounds nice and immediate. Good choice of tones for the lead guitars overall. Your toms don't sound plasticky like ones that rely too much on samples which is good. Synth strings are there nicely without being intrusive which is my preference too.

Your scream vocals are not aligned correctly. You should reference against the mix provided by the artist.

I feel that you are relying too much on the click of the kick with very little low end coming through. Might be that you are using too much low end on the bass guitar which is masking it? If you could get your snare to cut through more it would really help the overall sound. In fact, I think that the drums overall are getting a bit lost in the dense sections and probably need both further EQ to help them cut through as well as more volume.

On that note, is it possible that you are just hitting the limiter too hard and destroying all the transients? The mix DOES sound a bit over squashed to me. I'm pretty sure that if you ease back on the limiting you will have a better sounding mix.

Cheers
-Vinay