Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm Alright - Rob Burgess Mix
Like a few people I came across this tune thanks to the Mix Better Now Youtube channel, someone did a mix and submitted it for a critique. It's a cool tune so I thought I'd have a go at it.

Edit: I've uploaded a version 2 based on suggestions from Björn
http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/membe...e&uid=7129

- I've matched the volumes of the piano and the electric guitar
- Fixed a brain fart that resulted in the main acoustic guitar being in mono
- Slight tweaks to the bass as well.

--
Rob

.mp3    Angels In Amplifiers - I\'m Alright.mp3 --  (Download: 5.56 MB)

.mp3    Angels In Amplifiers - I\'m Alrightv2.mp3 --  (Download: 5.63 MB)

Btw, I'm definitely open to comments if anyone has any :-)

--
Rob
I like your version, you gracefully avoided the high end problems that this track is prone to (cymbals + percussion + vocals + guitars = potential mess). It is very easy to listen to, not abrasive at all (unlike mine).

Two nitpicky things though: 1) I think it feels a bit mono, might have profited from some more size and width. 2) the piano panned ~45% to the right throws me off, I think it unbalances the mix quite a bit. In my personal opinion, it works as a pad in this mix, bringing some warmth and glue to the mix that the fairly percussive accoustic guitars lack. You might have been better off leaving this one in the center and having it interact nicely with kick and bass to ensure a consistent low-mid / low range and opening up the guitars a bit for size.

Again, that's a personal preference of mine - it's a really a good effort.

Cheers,
Björn
Amateur audio enthusiast.
Twitter: @bjoernkmusic
Hey Björn,
Thanks for your comments, I appreciate your taking the time to listen. I checked out your mix and now I see why you say that mine lacks width LOL

The comment about the piano makes me think that I need to turn the electric guitar up a bit since the two are panned opposite each other. As much as possible I try to keep things like pianos (which can have a wide frequency range) out of the centre so as to not clutter the middle so the voice has somewhere to live. I'll pull up my session and double check that the electric isn't too quiet.

Thanks
--
Rob