Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dark Ride - Burning Bridges (first ever mix)
Hi,
I am new here so please go easy on me!
I have only just started getting into mixing and have only messed about with a few tracks of my own material with minimal audio tracks. Having read a load of stuff on mixing this is my first attempt at mixing a full band recording and first attempt at automation and mixing vocals.
Any and all comments/pointers/suggestions will be greatly appreciated and I will take on board the feedback before trying again on another track!

Thanks in advance!

.mp3    Dark Ride - Burning Bridges.mp3 --  (Download: 8.57 MB)

really great balance and levels!!
I miss the high end of your mix.
try also to high cut the guitars
(09-01-2017, 11:38 PM)Before You Jump Wrote: really great balance and levels!!
I miss the high end of your mix.
try also to high cut the guitars

Thanks for the listening and for the comments.
Is it the high frequencies in general you think are missing or specific instruments such as cymbals which should have more high frequencies?
In general.
the best thing you can do is to compare your mix with a reference track you really like. In this case for example from the band Dragonforce.
First listen to a track of dragonforce and after then compare it with yours.
Then you will notice the difference and understand where the weak points are.
It is always good using a reference track. not only for mastering but also for mixing.
You can also check the frequency spectrum of your song with a graphic EQ and compare it with your reference track.
(12-01-2017, 10:33 PM)Before You Jump Wrote: In general.
the best thing you can do is to compare your mix with a reference track you really like. In this case for example from the band Dragonforce.
First listen to a track of dragonforce and after then compare it with yours.
Then you will notice the difference and understand where the weak points are.
It is always good using a reference track. not only for mastering but also for mixing.
You can also check the frequency spectrum of your song with a graphic EQ and compare it with your reference track.

Thank you very much for expanding. Very new to this and really appreciate your feedback and suggestions. Gonna try and mix another song and will try using a reference track to compare to! Cheers!
Don't use a Dragonforce song as a reference mix if you mix Burning Bridges. As I wrote in the FAQ (link below) please use Killswitch Engage as a reference, because that's what we were aiming for sonically and that's what all our recording decisions are based on. If you mix Burning Bridges and use a Dragonforce song as a reference you will clearly miss the mark - it's probably the opposite of what we want to sound like.

http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...p?tid=5761

Thx and happy mixing Smile

Ps: Your mix has too much reverb and is too squashed. I can clearly hear the bus compressor pumping in a very bad way. Back of the compression/limiting and don't use so much reverb on the snare. Ii sounds very annoying. You can get all the reverb/space you need from the room track.

Thumbnail(s)

(13-01-2017, 10:43 AM)Blitzzz Wrote: Don't use a Dragonforce song as a reference mix if you mix Burning Bridges. As I wrote in the FAQ (link below) please use Killswitch Engage as a reference, because that's what we were aiming for sonically and that's what all our recording decisions are based on. If you mix Burning Bridges and use a Dragonforce song as a reference you will clearly miss the mark - it's probably the opposite of what we want to sound like.

http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...p?tid=5761

Thx and happy mixing Smile

Ps: Your mix has too much reverb and is too squashed. I can clearly hear the bus compressor pumping in a very bad way. Back of the compression/limiting and don't use so much reverb on the snare. Ii sounds very annoying. You can get all the reverb/space you need from the room track.

Thanks!