Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perpetual Escape - Roots Of Mankind
Great song. It was a challenge to keep the guitar tones consistent throughout the song. It was also a bit of work keeping the overheads from making a mess of the snare. Reading previous comments, I know the snare isn't as trashy as the drummer likes it, but I like it a little tighter.

My biggest goal was not to overdo the 2k-5k range as I have a bad habit of doing that. Probably listening too loud Smile I put down the headphones and set up my speakers for this mix which made a big difference.

.mp3    Perpetual Escape - Roots Of Mankind.mp3 --  (Download: 13.19 MB)

.mp3    Perpetual Escape - Roots Of Mankind V2.mp3 --  (Download: 13.23 MB)

Hi parnellij,

I think your balances and spectral sonics overall are pretty good. But for me, the mix sounds a little flat and pushed back overall. I guessing a compression move(s) somewhere has caused this. Bringing some some of this lost punch and energy back into the mix would bring it life I'm sure.
I think you could also afford to take the guitars out wider into the sides. As it stands, it's quite a "mono" sounding mix. This will also open things up considerably and add some life.

Hope this helps Smile
(08-01-2017, 10:33 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Hi parnellij,

I think your balances and spectral sonics overall are pretty good. But for me, the mix sounds a little flat and pushed back overall. I guessing a compression move(s) somewhere has caused this. Bringing some some of this lost punch and energy back into the mix would bring it life I'm sure.
I think you could also afford to take the guitars out wider into the sides. As it stands, it's quite a "mono" sounding mix. This will also open things up considerably and add some life.

Hope this helps Smile

Yep, I killed all the dynamics trying to glue the whole mess together with a bunch of compression. I've uploaded version 2 where I backed way off the compression and used a little more reverb on almost everything to give the track some life. I also took out some low end as it was a bit muddy. I haven't addressed the lack of width yet. That will be next in version 3 Smile Thank you for your honest critique. It helped me get off my butt and try a little harder.
Hi there ! I'm PE's drummer and original mix engineer.

I like the tone of my drums, except the main snare which is too small for my taste. I originally used an EZ drummer sample to enhance it. Love the small snare though Wink

I can hear a bit too much subs in the kick. The overall EQ of your mix is quite midrangy but sound balanced though. Maybe the rhythm guitars which are a bit loud, but nothing really wrong.

Good job !
Listening with cans on, V2 is much better.Smile The improvement in the dynamics is night and day.

Good work!